Offset smokers

chrisr

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Ok if any of you had your choice between buying a offset smoker which one would you buy? A Lang reverse flow, Jambo pit, or Gator pit which one would you go with and why?

Lang Reverse Flow. I am a low and slow kinda cooker. Reverse flow can get a even temp from side to side. Also reverse flow are made for the low and slow people.

Out of those choices I'd say Gator. I've seen a number of guys using them and all have high regard for Gator. Plus their shop is about 5 miles from my house.

Of those three choices, I'd personally go in order of Jambo, Gator, then Lang. I'd get the Jambo no doubt, Jamie's a great guy. However, when I do buy a stickburner again, it's 99% likely to be a Yoder.

Given choices I'd go Gator. If I was in the market I'd plunk my dollars down on a Pitmaker Long rifle Sniper

I have a bubba grills 250r on a 5x10 trailer. It's a lang type reverse flow offset but a little cheaper. It has a 3500lb axle and goes 90mph no problem. It has a gas assist in the firebox to get the fire going and two fish fry burners on the front. I looked at all of the pits you mentioned and I am happy I chose the bubba for just over 3 grand. Oh and it won MIM ribs...

Great question Chrisr! As far as reverse flow offsets go, I've used a Lang for years and love it. It puts out great tasting food. Bubba Grills makes smokers that are also very good reverse flow offsets and I have friends on the competition circuit that do quite well with them. Those two are very similar. I know that Jambo make good offsets and they have a good reputation from a lot of people, but I've never used one. They are of course, a sleek looking cooking machine. I can't speak with any knowledge on Gator Pits, although they are a good looking pit. So, with that said and without researching any other smokers, I'd go with a Jambo if I wanted a great smoker AND looks or a Lang if I'm only concerned about putting out great food. You'd win either way. I look forward to reading input from other brethren.

I'd go with a Shirlet Fab pit.
I have a Lang and love it!! But last weekend at a cook we did I got to check out a Shirley.
Side by side with my Lang the quality of the SF and workmanship were a bit better than my Lang. Also Paul and Ty add some small extras to their pits.
Grease zircs on every hinge is one that truly impressed me.
I also like their draft opening for the fire box and it's location better than mine.
That cooker ran rock solid and produced some fine Q

Not to say the Lang didn't kick out the same quality Q, but my next cooker will be a SF for sure!!

If money was no object, a Jambo. People bag on his pits for the paint jobs, but the fact is he figured out *exactly* how to make a great cooking pit. It doesn't hurt that they're pretty too.

If money *is* an object (isn't it always?) then a Lone Star Grillz for a traditional offset, or a Shirley for a reverse flow. As far as I can tell those are the best value for your money--you'll get a top notch pit for a great price.

It would have to be a Shirley Fabrication.
From what I have read and seen in SF threads on this site they only have very happy customers who all love and rave about their work and the fine experience when dealing with the gents at Shirley Fabrication.

Well it depends on exactly how much control you want over your cooker. All of the pit builders you mentioned make a great pit but one stands out to me for giving the cook more options and that is the Gator. The reason I say that is because of the three, Gator has tuning plates whereas the Lang and the Jambo don't. Now some people want even temps ALL the time in their pit, which Lang and Jambo give you but others want the ability to adjust heat on one side or the other depending on what they're cooking at the time and that is what tuning plates allow you to do.
In a large offset you can create a cooler area in the cooking chamber with the adjustment of the tuning plates that you can use as a holding area or as a secondary cooking area, which comes in handy if you are having to cook more than one kind of meat or if you're cooking a large quantity and need the ability to hold some of the meat while the rest is finishing.
With that said however, I agree with others that there are other good pit builders out there to look at. Shirley has already been mentioned and also for a Texas built pit you should look at Lone Star Grillz in Conroe. Their quality is every bit as good as Gator and is considerably less expensive, my pit is an LSG and I couldn't be happier.:wink:
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/

Out of those, in order:
Gator
Lang
Jambo

However, I would pick a Klose over all three.

FYI (my first post here by the way), I spoke with Jamie Geer (Jambo) today, and he won't be building any of his "backyard" model until 2015. He's filled up with larger trailer builds. BUMMER.

Jambo was the first on my list. I'm also in the hunt for a stickburner. I feel like my top 3 choices are now Lang, Lone Star, and Gator. As far as I'm aware, Gator is the only one of those 3 who offers an insulated firebox; however, Gator is also the most pricey of the 3. I'm still waiting on all of them to call me back.

FYI (my first post here by the way), I spoke with Jamie Geer (Jambo) today, and he won't be building any of his "backyard" model until 2015. He's filled up with larger trailer builds. BUMMER.

Jambo was the first on my list. I'm also in the hunt for a stickburner. I feel like my top 3 choices are now Lang, Lone Star, and Gator. As far as I'm aware, Gator is the only one of those 3 who offers an insulated firebox; however, Gator is also the most pricey of the 3. I'm still waiting on all of them to call me back.

Lone Star offers an insulated firebox.

I'm new here, so take it easy on me. Would any of you consider a Peoria cooker? Perhaps one of their MMIF models?

Back