16' or 18' trailer

Blanton

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looking for opinions from those that own one or the other.

I have a 7x16'+3' V on order and now thinking I should change to a 18'+3.

I know bigger is always better, but I am looking to balance needed space with manuverability as well as over all towing. Will be wanting to use 2 cots in it along with prep table and shelving unit for totes as many have done. When not taking to contest, would like to do some camping out of it since it will have finished interiour and the wife will not feel like she is in a plywood utility trailer !

I doubt that the extra foot will make a difference in towing, except for the weight. I would do a mock up of the shelving, cots, etc. to see how they will fit. I did it using Powerpoint and built rectangles for everything and played around with layouts to see how I could arrange things.

Ya I made a to scale diagram. See how I wanted it to lay out. I have 16' with 2' bull nose. Works out well for my team. Two sets of bunks up front and 8' prep table down one side. Shelfs and cabinets underneath with openings for totes and generator in back. Assassin rolls up and ties down over wheels.

used a 7x14 a few times last year... pretty nice. couldnt fit 2 Cabelas XL cots side by side though. 7x16 should be plenty long.

If you want to camp, you should look at the tip out beds like Eggspert has. I wussed out though :( and went 6x12 aluminum. Limited by a girly vehicle and inner city life.

I did look at them and was just about to add them. Decided they would be good for a perfect 70* MN day. Figured why spend money on insulation the. Put to big 6' holes in the walls. I'd rather have my humidity controlled environment and and air bed for the trips with the wife and cots for the guys :)

I think you'd be suprised with an AC in a trailer even with the pop outs.

It sounds like you'd be better off with a toy hauler than a trailer, especially since you plan on finishing it.

Had a 16x7 for 2 years. Ruined by hail storm last June. It fills up real fast. Going with an 8.5x20 this time.

We started last year with a 8.5x16 with a 3' v-nose. Sold it and moved to a 8.5x22' flat front. You can never have enough space. I was told to buy bigger than I thought I needed, wish I would have listened the first time.

In my experience, width can be more costly than length if you are concerned about maneuverability. Be aware that you will not be able to see around an 8 foot trailer without extension mirrors.

Be aware that you will not be able to see around an 8 foot trailer without extension mirrors.

yep

Envoy/Durango/Jeep Cherokee= 6 foot wide
Fullsize trucks= 7 foot
better have extended mirrors= 8.5

We have a 7x16 and it works fine with a prep table on one side and a cot on the other. If I was going to do it over again I'd go for the 8' wide trailer for not that much more money. At the time I was thinking it would tow easier and not need tow mirrors. Tow mirrors are an easy add and I really don't think towing an extra foot is going to be a big deal. We now pull a Lang behind a 5th wheel so keep in mind that things can change.

Something else you might want to take into consideration is that it seems most comp sites are 20', an 18' tailor may put you over with the tongue and such.

If anything I'd look at going to the 8.5 width instead of the 7'. That extra foot and a half on the inside makes a world of difference.

Exactly what I was going to say

I'd put serious thought into a 7' ceiling as well. 6'6 gets short in a hurry for anyone over 6'

We had a 8x16x6.5 and after comparing it to both longer, shorter and narrower trailers I think it was the right size. Fit in most 20' comp spots with little problem and there was room to park the tow vehicle beside it at some events. Only change I'd make is the 7' ceiling because of a roof mount AC. Extension mirrors are cheep.

i would recommend jumping to 8.5 width also.
My triler is 8.5x16+4 and it works great for me.
If i was to upgrade i might go to a 6 ft deck but im happy with what i have.
The extra foot of width is huge to me.

Back