• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

homemade charcoal

P

Porker's Pit

Cut down a chinese elm can you make charcoal with it. :confused:

Cut down a chinese elm can you make charcoal with it. :confused:
you could but the falvor of it might be odd. But then again, only 15% of the natural flavor of the wood is left after carbonization. Give it a shot and tell us what its like. I tried burning elm in my wood burning stove for cold winters. Didnt get as hot as pine did.

I have a grate in my offset firebox. Made some really good coal, by putting a small hot bed of lump in the bottom and putting my chunks on the grate 10 inches above it. They pretty much baked, untill igniting, with plenty of air before i cut it off and let it sit overnight.

I would say since you have the wood, why not. But, at least as far as density and burn time, I suspect it will burn very hot and very fast.

you could but the falvor of it might be odd. But then again, only 15% of the natural flavor of the wood is left after carbonization. Give it a shot and tell us what its like. I tried burning elm in my wood burning stove for cold winters. Didnt get as hot as pine did.

Awful brave burning pine in a stove. Only place i burn pine is in the yard.:thumb::thumb:

I wouldn't waste the time with it unless you just want to work on technique.

Awful brave burning pine in a stove. Only place i burn pine is in the yard.:thumb::thumb:

yup, thats all we burn in the wood stove. Pinion Pine. Well that and 4x8 pieces and 2x4 scraps. but its all pine.

I have to agree with Norm. When I used to heat with wood I found that elm wasn't worth messing with because it retains water like an old widow woman. Just my experience.

Back