Never fails....

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Seems like damn near every time I plan on cold smoking, whether it is bacon or cheese, we get some sort of goofy weather. Tomorrow we are going to be lucky if we break freezing......supposed to be like this til next week some time...

Last edited:
Too cold smoking

from my understanding, cold smoking below freezing restricts the meat from absorbing the smoke flavor. I have seen multiple bacon and country ham curing instructions that specifically say to add x# of days of smoking for days below freezing. I have had luck with putting a light bulb in my cold smoker to warm it up above freezing when it is too cold.

from my understanding, cold smoking below freezing restricts the meat from absorbing the smoke flavor. I have seen multiple bacon and country ham curing instructions that specifically say to add x# of days of smoking for days below freezing. I have had luck with putting a light bulb in my cold smoker to warm it up above freezing when it is too cold.

In the past I used a heat lamp meant for our title tank...don't remember where I stashed it...

If you are doing this in a grill put a couple pieces of charcoal in the bottom for heat Don Marco did this when he cold smoked salmon

Did find my contraption. Didn't really need it. As is usual the forecast was a bit off...we hit close to 40* here today. My RF is in the sun all day. The cc temperature peaked at 59*. Had no condensation drips. Buck board bacon is going back in for another 8 hours, if the pork belly has enough of a pellicle formed it will be going in for its first 8 hours...

Back