Just a friendly reminder on turkey safety

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For those like me that bought your turkeys late and are still frozen please be safe on thawing them. The preferred way of course is the slow thaw in the refrigerator but if you're in a pinch then you have to go to a plan B but make it a safe plan B.

Bacteria in the birds aren't growing when it's frozen but as soon as it's above 40* is when that speeds up so If you have to water thaw your turkey make sure your water temp is 40* or below....The closer the better for the fastest thawing. Water is a better conductor of heat than air so it will thaw quickly submerged but please keep in mind the inside will still be frozen but the thawed outside needs to stay in the safe temperature range throughout the thaw.

Happy ThanksGiving everyone!!! To finish I'd like to say I'm thankful for some very good people on here and many I'm glad to call friends!

Doug, yes the frozen turkey into the deep fryer is a no no also...or just full of too much oil.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4RgG6_Yxk"]Turkey Fryer Safety Tips - YouTube[/ame]

Bump for all the boneheads like me that didn't buy their turkeys soon enough and have to thaw them quickly.

Mine have even been in a water bath for close to 17 hours and just shed the ice on the outside....ugh I have a feeling they'll still be largely frozen in the morning.

Thanks, I honestly haven't even thought about It. I just went and checked, I'm at 35* .:thumb:

My turkey always wants to be in the tanning bed to thaw out. We argue every year. :crazy:

Attachments

• wpid-turkey-tan-lines.jpg
    wpid-turkey-tan-lines.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 133
Mine is still frozen and still at the local supermarket! Waiting for next year, or whenever I get the urge to smoke another one. This year it is just the bride and myself, and we are going out for Thanksgiving. No cooking, no mess to clean up, and no leftovers (my personal favorite thing). We are still thankful for our relatively good health, and the means to pay for a good meal out. All our relatives live out of the area, or have preceded us in death in this life.

I too, am thankful for all the Brothers on this forum that are ready to offer advice and or a prayer when needed. It is truly a great online community with outstanding participants. May you all have a great and Blessed Thanksgiving day with your loved ones and friends! :grouphug:

Omar

Back