Practice Turkey

Seefyre

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Reaction score
We are hosting the family Thanksgiving this year. The Patriarch of our clan is a traditionalist when it comes to turkey and has expressed not wanting a smoked turkey that tastes more like ham than turkey. Also gravy is important for the meal as well (I'm known as a no gravy guy)

We are a one oven household so we need that space for all the sides. My options are to cook it in Lucille (Shirley Fab) or spin in on the weber kettle rotisserie. Looks to me like "research" is in order---A Shirley Fab practice turkey!

The plan is to cook with western white oak, medium size hot fire cooking at 350 range on a 15 lb. bird.

The test on Lucille was a success for the result I was trying to obtain~ subtle smoke flavor, great skin and drippin's suitable for gravy. The gravy was off the hook!

The cook took a total of 2 hrs 25 minutes, I monitored bird temps with a thermoworks ChefAlarm.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.
~Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 175
So it seems that at 325-350 15lb birds are running 2.5 hrs. That's good to know...since I have two to cook in the Stumps Calassic. It shouldn't be any difference in my cabinet vs an offset like the Shirley...correct?

Delicious looking bird. Looks like you nailed it on the first go round.

Looks fantastic! I'll be trying this one [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfYyw8Cbm8"]Weber Grills - Apple-Brined Turkey with Big Time Gravy Recipe - YouTube[/ame] and I'm hoping for similar results as yours. But the "big time gravy" sounds awesome!

So it seems that at 325-350 15lb birds are running 2.5 hrs. That's good to know...since I have two to cook in the Stumps Calassic. It shouldn't be any difference in my cabinet vs an offset like the Shirley...correct?

I cooked a 14lb today in the Assissan at 285 for 4 hours. It was so juicy and done perfect.

Back