• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What type of smoker to buy?

jonfromjersey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants to start smoking. I've got a WSM and he would like to do less work than that. He'd probably use it 6-10 times/year and would essentially like to "set it and forget it". Any suggestions? I imagine his limit financially would be about $1000. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

A WSM is one of the smokers that requires the least effort :-D

I would suggest that he look at a pellet smoker. For $1000 he can get a Yoder, Rectec or Blazn' Grillworks. All are high quality cookers.

Or, have him look at a PBC. It's a lot less money and pretty much set and forget.

I would recommend a name brand Kamado style cooker. Take a look at KJ, Primo & Egg. I would not piddle with the rest. The kamado style cooker is the most versatile, and will give you the most bang for the buck. Good luck.

WSM is the way to go. Easy to use and it is easy to transport as well. Cean up is a breeze.

Last edited:
Green Mtn is good Ceramic like the BGE does not need a lot of attention and like Ron said a pellet cooker Meadowcreek makes a nice cabinet smoker

I would second the Pit Barrel Cooker. About as easy as it gets but with outstanding results.

One of the Brethren did a very thoughtful side-by-side comparison of the WSM and PBC. He loves both cookers and the final results were essential a tie, but in the start up and ease of use categories he gave the nod to the PBC:

Start-up time: Both the WSM and PBC are easy to start-up and come to temp quickly. The WSM has a few "tried and true" starting methods, including the Minion. The PBC is basically a "light the chimney, dump the coals and go" system. While both are great, the PBC is simpler and is ready to cook on as soon as a chimney of 35-40 briquettes is hot.

Winner: PBC

Ease of use: Again, both WSM and PBC are very easy to use and maintain temps extremely well. WSM can run anywhere from 200-300F by adjusting the vents, PBC locks in between 250-300F through its design. WSM uses two grates for all meats to smoke on, PBC relies mainly on meats suspended by hooks hanging on steel rebar for cooking (one grate is also supplied for other meats and finishing pork butts, brisket, etc). Both smokers/cookers are very easy to use and you can't go wrong with either. I have to give the nod to the PBC here, because I think it's more of a "set and forget" system, and the hooks and hook tool make moving meats around less hassle and mess. Also, for those short on time, the PBC can power through a big pork butt or brisket in 7-8 hrs (or less).

Winner: PBC

Does he have other grills already?

If not I'd suggest a kamado as that will let him cook in other ways if he is so inclined.

If all he is interested in is smoking something a few times a year it is hard to beat an electric smoker for ease of use so I'd say get a Smokin-It.

Does he have other grills already?

If not I'd suggest a kamado as that will let him cook in other ways if he is so inclined.

If all he is interested in is smoking something a few times a year it is hard to beat an electric smoker for ease of use so I'd say get a Smokin-It.

He's got a gasser. Trust me, when he says he wants a set and forget....he's not kidding. Get it lit...put you protein in and come back when it's done....Everyone is different! :)

Back