How long does it take to bring your smoker up to temp 270° or above.

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The title says it all. Please state what kind of smoker it is too.
My 270 Sumo is at 270° in about 40 minutes.

Shirley Fab offset -

30-40 minutes tops. A little quicker if I add an extra log or 2. Typically if I dump in a chimney of coals and add 3 splits, 30 minutes.

Depends on how I light each of my smokers. If it is just a few coals or starter cubes in my wsm, egg, stickburner, backwoods it can take an hour or so. With the weed burner it can be just a few minutes :-D

Bell Fab 24"x48" offset. 275* in about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on ambient temp and wind.

I'm still feeling out my Brazos but my Meadow Creek PR36 will cruise past 270 in under 20 minutes if I want it to. It's not the thickest metal and it's kinda a direct grilling set up.

Depends on how I light each of my smokers. If it is just a few coals or starter cubes in my wsm, egg, stickburner, backwoods it can take an hour or so. With the weed burner it can be just a few minutes :-D
I just bought a weedburner so I guess I'll get there sooner now warming the inside.

I'd say in decent weather, about 30-45 minutes depending on how big of a fire I start, and if I heat the cooking chamber with a weedburner a bit, it's quicker. I try to let the pit get to the temp itself though.. seems to behave better.

I can't play, I shall move along

WSM 20 minutes but I have to wait about an hour and fifteen minutes after dumping coals before the fire is clean enough to put meat on.

In my Lone Star cabinet it takes over an hour if I just light the charcoal and wait. I don't like to wait so out comes the weed burner. Then it's 5 minutes to 275. I do let the smoke clean up for 30 minutes or so before putting the meat on.

Self built 24X72 RF offset firebox; lay down small kindling, 6-8 splits cut down to 2x2x16, couple of 1/2 splits an finally a couple full sized splits than light it with a HF weedburner. Takes 30-40 minutes to clear to TBS and get to 275*-325*.

It all depends on the time of the year...Dead of winter just a little over an hour. But I got a lot of metal to heat up.

Backwoods Chubby G2 takes about an hour... UDS can get there much faster, depending on how long I leave the lid off to get 'er going.

Big Joe...full fire box and one starter in the middle, bottom and top vents wide open, 20-25 minutes. Wood chunks, Deflector and grill on and closed again, 10 minutes or so to regain temp after vents shut down to preferred setting.

Back