Finishing sauce or glaze?

rkoener

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those of you that don't mind sharing... What do you put on your meat before turn in? A glaze or finishing sauce of some kind? Do you use the same for everything or does it differ. I am just learning and was curious what most people are doing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
what do you use for your Q?

start from there and work your way around.

for KCBS, i think everything gets something to finish. a sauce, finishing sauce, or glaze i'd consider the same thing, more or less. or even, anything liquid applied onto the meat towards the end of the cook would be considered any of the above. at least i don't know the technical differences.

a straight sauce i'd suggest is for dipping.

poke around, your question is a little to broad to be answered in one post, really, i'm honestly not trying to be cryptic.

good luck!

I think you're going to find answers in "all of the above". We make our own sauce, and there are a lot of really good commercial ones available. No doubt a lot of people add a little something to a bought sauce to put their own spin on it. As long as your end profile is well balanced and complements the meat, you're golden.

Both...we use a glaze for our ribs and chicken...and a finishing sauce for our pork butt and brisket...:thumb:

I guess I should clarify. I know that most everyone uses some sort of finishing sauce or glaze, but I would like to know what they consist of if anyone would share. I would guess that some of the finishing sauces are simply a thinned down version of their BBQ sauce (but what do you thin it down with). I have seen some glaze recipes, but I was hoping to find out what is most popular before I just start trying several different ones. I guess I am just looking for a good starting point.

Thanks very much!

Blues Hog Original makes for a pretty final product and it tastes phenomenal as well.

Use your sauce with some jiuce to thin, apple is very common, I've also seen white grape, peach and pineapple used. You could also add butter, honey, some sort of fruit jelly, maybe a couple dashes of hot sauce to your liking. Experiment with what you like.

There is also a glaze recipe out on the internet, I believe it is from Danny Goulden (sp). He uses yellow mustard and brown sugar mixed into a paste and applies it right before the ribs come off the smoker. I've never done this but have heard it makes the ribs look really nice.

Good luck!

Use your sauce with some jiuce to thin, apple is very common, I've also seen white grape, peach and pineapple used. You could also add butter, honey, some sort of fruit jelly, maybe a couple dashes of hot sauce to your liking. Experiment with what you like.

There is also a glaze recipe out on the internet, I believe it is from Danny Goulden (sp). He uses yellow mustard and brown sugar mixed into a paste and applies it right before the ribs come off the smoker. I've never done this but have heard it makes the ribs look really nice.

Good luck!

this is very tasty, but don't compete with it, or even a variation....don't ask me how i know.:icon_blush:

Depending on what we're doing we thin with either apple juice, water, or drippings.

Back