yellow skin or white skin (chicken)

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I can't remember the reasoning, but what is the difference between yellow skin chicken and white skin chicken ?.. I usually get fresh thighs, from the same place all the time, (white skin, "organic hippie" chicken) but i was in my little po-dunk grocery store today and saw some nice thighs, but with yellow skin.. so i turn to you all to educate me a bit on the difference. If any ???

yellow skin

this has to with the way they are fed. Most chicken with yellow skin are fed marigold pedals in their feed.

wiki says breeding

"According to Gail Damerow's handbook, "Egg yolks get their color from xanthophyll, a natural yellow-orange pigment in green plants and yellow corn, and the same pigment that colors the skin and shanks of yellow-skinned hens. The exact color of a yolk depends on the source of the xanthophyll." "

click

Podge, i asked this question about a year ago and nobody responded so I just did some experimenting and i found that you need to keep on doing what you are doing.

thanks for the help, and the link !.. now I'm not as dumb as i was yesterday.:wink:

Back