Discussion Thread -> "Cookin' On a Flat!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."Cookin' On a Flat"

hash_zpsrgpaddf4.jpg

As chosen by Smoke Dawg for winning the "Magical Smoked Ingredient" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Smoke Dawg said:
How about "Cook on a Flat". Cook anything you want on a flat cooking surface, a griddle, a cast iron pan, a dutch oven etc but you gotta cook outside and standard TD rules apply

Now the special rules:

The cook must posted in Qtalk and referenced that it is for a TD and there must be a picture of the main ingredient cooking on a flat surface. The entry picture does not have to be a "cooking" picture but there must be a way to see it cooking either linked to the cook thread, or documented in the TD entry.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 1/8/16 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 1/18/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 1/18/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited:
Please consider this my entry into the "Cook on a Flat" TD. Well, unless it gets Dilly'ed...

Q-Talk Entry HERE...

I don't own one of those fancy griddles, but I do own one of these grill pans:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Style-6435-Professional-Grade-Grill/dp/B000WEIIOE"]Amazon.com : Weber Style 6435 Professional-Grade Grill Pan : Grill Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Xy31VbvIL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Xy31VbvIL[/ame]

I threw a sheet of foil over it, seems flat to me. Oiled up the salmon and seasoned it with Slap Ya Mama and a light dusting of HDD:

IMG_4290_zpszlm8uj8p.jpg

Threw it on the gasser in direct for about 20 mins. Turned out good. Just enough seasoning to give it flavor without overpowering the salmon taste.

Please use the following as my entry:

IMG_4291_zpsubxviqsb.jpg

Looks great, Terry! Do you have a shot of the salmon cooking on the pan on the grill? As your entry stands now, it will, unfortunately, be a dilly.. The rules -

THE RULES said:
The cook must posted in Qtalk and referenced that it is for a TD and there must be a picture of the main ingredient cooking on a flat steel. The entry picture does not have to be a "cooking" picture but there must be a way to see it cooking either linked to the cook thread, or documented in the TD entry.

If you could add in that extra shot you would be good to go, otherwise, you have plenty of time to enter something else.. Thanks!

Yeah, I missed that part. That was right before I put it on the grill. Mods can either delete it or give me my first Dilly. Not sure I have anything else planned in time.

Cookin on a flat entry

I decided to enter my pastrami reuben for this TD. Cooked it using a grill mat on the kettle. Creates a nice flat surface on the grill grate.

I smoke the pastrami for this Saturday. Heres the cook thread:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223349

I soaked a corned beef point in fresh water for 2 days then seasoned it with thirdeyes pastrami rub. I smoked it on the kettle with pecan chips. To steam finish i panned it with some broth, covered and placed in a low oven.

20160109_104918_zpsm4odyo8k.jpg

The sandwich (my actual entry) was made Sunday.

Cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223415

This was planned for the blackstone but i wimped out. The kettle was still parked out front and i wanted to try my new grill mat anyway.

Here i am watching my food from inside my doorway.

Weige thinks im a wimp too.

Try cooking sauerkraut on a standard grill

This setup cooked rocket fast. Way faster than the griddle.

Here is my entry pic

Garnished with a homemade pickle

Now i am aware that in the special rules steel is specifically mentioned.

...there must be a picture of the main ingredient cooking on a flat steel.....

but i feel my mat fits the spirit of the theme as stated by smoke dawg without being steel.

How about "Cook on a Flat". Cook anything you want on a flat cooking surface, a griddle, a cast iron pan, a dutch oven etc but you gotta cook outside and standard TD rules apply.

The grill mat is just such a new space age technology that last week when the cookin on a flat TD was conceived it was never imagined a non metal solution would exist.

So for fiting the spirit and this unprecedented evolution in technology i believe an exception to be considered

This is my entry for the TD challenge.

Made a doublecheese burger for the entry. Started with 2 3.5oz patties. The best part of the burger was a homemade bacon jam that I made containing onions,bacon and maple syrup until cooked down. It took the burger to an entire new level when you bit into it. Heres the cook.

Please use this Photo

Breakfast pizza.

Please accept this as my TD entry.

Made a breakfast pizza this morning. Homemade dough, homemade hollandaise sauce, mozzarella, sharp cheddar, chorizo, bacon and fried eggs. All cooked outside on my camp stove with my CI and griddle.

Here are a a few pics:

Please use this photo for the vote thread.
bp13.jpg

bp15use.jpg

bp16.jpg

Here is the link to the cook thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223490

Thanks for looking folks!

***Moderator's Note***

Ninja brings up a good point. There is some ambiguity about flat surface vs. "Steel" as per the category description. One thing that comes to mind is a cast iron skillet is not technically a "steel".

After conferring with Smoke Dawg, I have eliminated the word "steel" from the category description altogether.

As long as entries meet the following special rules, are cooked outdoors, and follow standard TD rules, they are valid:

The cook must posted in Qtalk and referenced that it is for a TD and there must be a picture of the main ingredient cooking on a flat surface. The entry picture does not have to be a "cooking" picture but there must be a way to see it cooking either linked to the cook thread, or documented in the TD entry.

Now i am aware that in the special rules steel is specifically mentioned.

...there must be a picture of the main ingredient cooking on a flat steel.....

but i feel my mat fits the spirit of the theme as stated by smoke dawg without being steel.

How about "Cook on a Flat". Cook anything you want on a flat cooking surface, a griddle, a cast iron pan, a dutch oven etc but you gotta cook outside and standard TD rules apply.

The grill mat is just such a new space age technology that last week when the cookin on a flat TD was conceived it was never imagined a non metal solution would exist.

So for fiting the spirit and this unprecedented evolution in technology i believe an exception to be considered

Man I wanted to enter this throwdown. Just afraid its to cold! Good luck guys! Just a pain rolling the blackstone out when its freezing outside :thumb:

Entry to TD Challenge

Here is my entry for the TD challenge:

This is a picture of a sous vide cheese curd burger made with 100% ground brisket...

picture.php

They were in the water for about 1-1/2 hours at 138°F...
picture.php

They were finished in a cast iron pan with avocado oil on an induction range set at 520°F...
picture.php

Here is my entry for the TD challenge:

This is a picture of a sous vide cheese curd burger made with 100% ground brisket...

picture.php

They were in the water for about 1-1/2 hours at 138°F...
picture.php

They were finished in a cast iron pan with avocado oil on an induction range set at 520°F...
picture.php

Very sorry! After reading into it some more, my cast iron pan was used indoors, so not sure if that excludes me from this comp. :eek:(

Very sorry! After reading into it some more, my cast iron pan was used indoors, so not sure if that excludes me from this comp. :eek:(

Since this Throwdown ends on Monday, Jan 18 at 12pm CST, you have plenty of time to enter again per the rules if you want, just be sure to specify that you want your new entry used for judging.

Tacos al pastor.

Monday seemed like a good day to make tacos on my taco cart I purchased last year. This were Alpastor ( goggle it) not sure how to explain this one.

Here's how it went.

Here's an action shot from Instagram. 15 second video

https://instagram.com/p/BAcyPU7RZMt/

Taco cart putting in work

Plated

Up and close pic

Thanks for looking

Tony and Maribel

Please use this pic for our official entry

Official Entry

Please accept this entry for the "Cookin on a Flat" TD

I have seen some really good Sammiches cokked on a gridle and had to give it a try with my own twists.

Here is a link to the full "Flat on Flat" cook
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3447061#post3447061

Quick preview

Almost all the fixins grilled up and ready to assemble

View attachment 121053

Flat Iron was Caren Crosta hot seared, then sliced and back to the griddle for a final sear and some provolone

View attachment 121054

Sammich made with the Carne Crosta Flat iron, provolone, shrooms, onions, peppers, jalapeno poppers, on butter and garlic seared bread...........................and ajus!

View attachment 121055

Entry photo above ^^^^^^^

This did not suck - I see more sammiches coming on this griddle!

Thanks for Lookin

Last edited:
Sorry I was up early and I felt something was wrong? - Please use the last picture.

The Ajus really kicked it up a notch!

Back