Flies at the BBQ

cheez59

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Firing up the smoker draws flies. It doesn't matter what kind of smoker or what you are cooking, when the smoke rolls the flies come. I built a large patio/deck so that I could locate all my cookers together in close proximity to my kitchen. The patio is also large enough for about 20 people to sit at tables and eat. I did the first cook on it this past weekend and had 23 guests. Everything was good except for the flies. They about drove everyone crazy. I see a number of folks on here that have multiple cookers on their patios along with tables and chairs. Does everybody just put up with the flies or is their some solution to this dilema?

I was doing a smoke on Sunday and this was the first time I've experienced this. Between watching football and cooking food I was a fly terminator. Annoying buggers!

I have my pits away from the eating area because of this problem. I would much rather have to walk several extra steps a few times a cook, than deal with flied hovering around when we are trying to eat.

What I hate is you can't leave your spatula or tongs on the performer table because the little bustards walk around on them.
I ain't havin any of that!!
Ed

I haven't found a solution...yet...but they only seem to come when pork is being cooked at my house.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SKELL-INC-2-0-BUG-A-SALT/dp/B00STSZ77G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443532621&sr=8-1&keywords=bug+a+salt+2.0"]Amazon.com : BUG-A-SALT 2.0 : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qCTKrLRFL.@@AMEPARAM@@51qCTKrLRFL[/ame]

I haven't found a solution...yet...but they only seem to come when pork is being cooked at my house.

They come in droves before I even put the meat on the smoker. Of course my WSM is coated heavily on the inside from many rib and butt cooks. :doh:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=glue+fly+trap"]Amazon.com: glue fly trap@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21stLnt8C6L.@@AMEPARAM@@21stLnt8C6L[/ame]

Take you some gallon zippy sacks drop a penny in each one fill 'em 1/2 full of water and hang 'em about every 10' around the perimeter. the refracted light farks with the flies many eyes and they git out a dodge I used to do this when I had my horses never a fly problem in the barn

Am I the only one that uses answer burner as the quickest fly swatter (of fire) in the west? All the while tempting fate that my neighbors will call me in...

Take you some gallon zippy sacks drop a penny in each one fill 'em 1/2 full of water and hang 'em about every 10' around the perimeter. the refracted light farks with the flies many eyes and they git out a dodge I used to do this when I had my horses never a fly problem in the barn

I've done this with 2 bags in BBQ area. Does it work???
Seems to... sometimes. Sometimes not!
But, notice there are no flies in the pic. :clap2::doh:

I've also hung old CDs around the pit area with same success as the water bags.
Both methods require sun shining directly on them for best results.

picture.php

What about bees? Many times when eating in any kind of meat in our backyard, bees start coming out. Very annoying.

I was running my comp smoker at my buddies house in his yard and the flies started swarming! He sprinkled some stuff around called Cedarcide, made from Cedar chips. Wasn't a fly insight for the rest of the cook.

I was running my comp smoker at my buddies house in his yard and the flies started swarming! He sprinkled some stuff around called Cedarcide, made from Cedar chips. Wasn't a fly insight for the rest of the cook.
I'm surrounded by cedar & cows I reckon the flies round here are immune to the effects

Don't have them here, but when i was in NY State I used to hide flystrips and spray the area with "Yard Guard", it kept both the flies an mosquitoes away..

I'd trade the flies for the mosquitoes here.

I can't wait until the first freeze so I can smoke in peace.

Back