Ninja and the ring of fire *** for the first time

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The long awaited trial run has finally happened. For those that don't remember my trying the ring of fire method (or better put my refusal to) was a long running gag around here. This has been put off as i dont use the kettle for smoking so much these days. Well today i was feeling just lazy enough to not want to bother with the stick burner so here we go.

I built a ring of briquettes 2x2x1 about half way around and laced it with some oak chips

Spare ribs was on the menu. I wanted to try this new rub i got. Its big on pepper with a hint of coffee

On the kettle we go shooting for my normal 275

Picked up some different sauces too. Today i tried the method used in the bbq with Franklin videos for the first time. It calls for bbq sauce in the foil wrap. As you can see i went with the bourbon sauce.

This is what i had leftover coal wise after 5 hours of burn.

Finished ribs.

They came out good. Nice use of sauce. The dizzy pig tasted great, i can see it working well with brisket.

The verdict: the ring held steady except for my bad habit of opening the lid. If i used more charcoal to build the ring i can see it holding steady for well over 8 hours. I likely won't be switching over from the stick burner for my standard rib cooks but this definitely gets the job done without as much attention. Not bad for my first try.

Nice results.
I useRO lump and have tried many times to get a slow burn doing this. But it just burns up too fast. I'll switch to kingsforf next time.

Nice results.
I useRO lump and have tried many times to get a slow burn doing this. But it just burns up too fast. I'll switch to kingsforf next time.

Yeah, the lump doesn't work as well because of the irregular sizes and shapes, it can be done, but takes some planning. The briquettes on the other hand, kind of lend themselves to this sort of cook, you can get very consistent temps, and I know in my performer, I have gotten 7-9 hour cooks with Kingsford Blue briquettes depending on conditions.

KC

Dang fine job there Brother :thumb:

So how was the sauce, seen them at Meijers but not a big sauce fan as you know lol

Dang fine job there Brother :thumb:

So how was the sauce, seen them at Meijers but not a big sauce fan as you know lol

It was good. They aren't too thick and glopy. Never been a fan of a glopy sauce. It cooked into the meat so it was a background flavor. I like to keep several table sauces on hand as most of my guests like em

Nice results.
For a 4-6 hour cook, just use the Minion method. I'm doing whole spares today and that is how I'm cooking.

nice looking cook, that's a lot of wood chips,was it too much?

nice looking cook, that's a lot of wood chips,was it too much?

It wasn't too much, other than the right side it was a thin layer. The fire burned clean with no visible exhaust for most of the cook. Smoke shouldn't ever be too much if it a clean fire.

I will say im starting to move further away from charcoal as fuel for long cooks. Maybe im just a wood snob or i have a sensitive pallet but bbq from clean wood fires or pre lit fuel just tastes cleaner than charcoal with fuse/minion.

You're not a snob Brother, I can taste the difference in the meats cooked as well.
Actually I can taste KBB when there's something cooked with it.
Wood burned clean or lump don't impart the coal flavor you get with most briquettes

You're not a snob Brother, I can taste the difference in the meats cooked as well.
Actually I can taste KBB when there's something cooked with it.
Wood burned clean or lump don't impart the coal flavor you get with most briquettes

Yup im gonna try some lump and other bricks but my minds made up. Id rather burn sticks for four or five hours then wrap in a low oven than a do a 10 hour straight charcoal cook.

That's about the same way I build my snakes in the 26.75 OTG; just chunks instead of shreds and I do a 3-2-1 stack. Cooks really nice for a long time if you need to. Those ribs look killer, bet they were quite tasty:thumb:

Last edited:
Would you say it was much eaiser to use the snake method, than just banking the coals to 1 side?

Would you say it was much eaiser to use the snake method, than just banking the coals to 1 side?

Yes, most definitely. Well, thats based on one cook. The only major deviations were due to my chronic, insatiable need to open the lid. Adjustments with the intake handle responded well.

With the coals banked temps tend to drift up after time. Requiring some attention.

Coals banked is just my goto weber setup. I can effortlessly cook a wide arrange of food with my choice or combination of heat types (convection, conduction, rad...):bolt:

Back