BGE draft fix

dogstarsmoke

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I love my new egg, but the inability to set the top vent and have it stay put is annoying. OK, it's a minor inconvenience, but resetting the vent every time it shifts when opening the dome complicates maintaining an even temp.
So here's a fairly easy fix.
I had some magnetic cabinet closures laying around that include an "L" shaped piece that wraps around the door. It's pre-drilled for mounting.
I used the hole in the cast iron swivel on the egg's swivel as a size guide, clamped the closure part in a vise and drilled it out to fit over the damper's base.
Mounted with one leg of the"L" facing down, it is fixed in place and can't turn with the vent wheel. I also added an additional washer to the smaller fine tuning vent to add sufficient friction to keep it in place.
The fixed shim under the vent creates a small space, so it can't be closed completely, but I've never needed or wanted to shut the top all the way down.
Pix for clarity:
Open with no damper shift
IMG_20150930_114633.jpg
The gadget
IMG_20150930_114353.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150930_114544.jpg
    IMG_20150930_114544.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 90
A long time egger told me this when I got my first Egg...

Rotate the entire top so that an imaginary line from the pivot point for the top through the center of the sliding portion is perpendicular to the front of the Egg. That way when you lift the lid the top will stay put.

I'll try to find a picture in case that doesn't make sense :)

Edit: Google to the rescue...

slide-daisy.jpg

if you line the screws up from front to back when you set your adjustment, you can open and close it without it moving.

when you get the daisy wheel set, if you orient it this way, it won't move everytime you open you egg.....

0c0c65af.jpg

fccba683.jpg

1e864d19.jpg

line the screws up from front to back.

if you line the screws up from front to back when you set your adjustment, you can open and close it without it moving.

Wait, I always do things the hard way...:roll:
Or, as Moe once said, "Never send an idiot to do the job of a moron."

Last edited:
Once the chimney gets gummed up with all the smoke, then it says in place just nicely. I do not have a BGE, but I have a similar type, a Primo Kamado XL Oval.

Back