My Brisket Smells like Cheese

I take it you don't purchase aged prime beef often. The brisket costco sells is wet-aged at least 30 days and every single one I've purchased from costco has a funky scent...and thats in the hundreds. in a controlled environment (c

Actually your quite wrong. I purchase all my brisket from Costco. I've cooked a good amount. Every single one has the initial smell which I come to expect from meat that is in cryovac. This smell was an extremely bad smell, not a sulfur smell, but a sour aged cheese smell. It stunk up the whole kitchen. I still continued to trim the brisket after rinsing thinking the smell would dissipate. It did not, and I knew this was not normal. So in conclusion you are wrong, I have cooked plenty of prime briskets from Costco. But thanks for your comment.

Would've been even better in a LSG V/O. :becky:

Great looking briskie and good call on returning the funky one. I've bought a ton of prime briskets from Costco and never had one with the funk you described. Better be safe than sorry.

Would've been even better in an LSG V/O. :becky:

Great looking briskie and good call on returning the funky one. I've bought a ton of prime briskets from Costco and never had one with the funk you described. Better be safe than sorry.

The LSG is on order!! I can't wait to get cooking on it. Might need some advice on wood suppliers. I have never had that smell come from beef. I'm assuming the cryo had to be compromised. Think extra aged Asiago.

The LSG is on order!! I can't wait to get cooking on it. Might need some advice on wood suppliers. I have never had that smell come from beef. I'm assuming the cryo had to be compromised. Think extra aged Asiago.

I hear you. Asiago cheese smell from a raw brisket is a no no.

Check CL for wood. That's where I got my last two batches from. There are few guys in and around SCV I saw that are reasonable and look to have good wood. Antelope Valley, Frazier Park etc and you can have them deliver it for a few bucks. I've seen signs on 126 going through Fillmore also.

Did a quick search and these came up but seems to be a lot more out there.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/hsh/6036609495.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/grd/6043406766.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/grd/6037773566.html

Great looking brisket and you absolutely made the correct choice. Cheesy smell on a piece of beef is an absolute no-go. I've had pork ribs that smell like straight fish coming out of the cryovac, but I never thought of taking them back to the purchasing location.... always just tossed them and swore I'd never buy another rack of ribs from that same place. haha

Actually your quite wrong. I purchase all my brisket from Costco. I've cooked a good amount. Every single one has the initial smell which I come to expect from meat that is in cryovac. This smell was an extremely bad smell, not a sulfur smell, but a sour aged cheese smell. It stunk up the whole kitchen. I still continued to trim the brisket after rinsing thinking the smell would dissipate. It did not, and I knew this was not normal. So in conclusion you are wrong, I have cooked plenty of prime briskets from Costco. But thanks for your comment.

fair enough ..if it stunk up the kitchen you certainly did the right thing. It was silly of me to assume you didn't know - after all this is a BBQ forum lol.

Costco I'm guessing exchanged it no problem?

fair enough ..if it stunk up the kitchen you certainly did the right thing. It was silly of me to assume you didn't know - after all this is a BBQ forum lol.

Costco I'm guessing exchanged it no problem?

Yes I explained the situation and they had no problem giving me a replacement.

All that matters is that the brisket turned out great and you felt better not risking family and friends. I would have done the same. Great color on that brisket...

Nice job.

Back