Looking for thermometer recs

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello- I've gone through two Maverick thermometers, and am looking to change gears. Looking for a remote thermometer that I can leave in the meat, and also monitor cooker temp like the Maverick.

I am not looking for a Cyber-Q type fire stoker or anything like that. Just want to be able to monitor my temps without lifting the lid or even having to go outside. What is your favorite remote thermometer and why? Functionality, performance, and price point are factors I need to consider.

Thanks much,
FM

^^^^^^ DOT if you can see the display from inside.
Thermoworks Smoke if you need remote display.
In my experience, Quality and Customer Service at Thermoworks is world class.

I recommend the Thermoworks Smoke. I have it and it is wonderful..

Thanks for the rec, gents. Sounds like Thermoworks Smoke it is.

As for what happened to the Mavs, probes weren't very durable / dependable. Second Mav somehow melted. Let's just attribute that one to O.E.

I wouldn't mind getting one of those thermo works either but my darn maverick won't die ��. Bought extra probes with initial purchase 2 years ago but the first two I've used are still ticking.

I've been lucky with my Mav et-732, it's a good 4 years old and I haven't had any problems with it other than changing batteries, definitely feel like I've gotten my moneys worth. When a probe goes out or it just dies I'll upgrade to the Smoke until then I'm just going to keep rolling with it.

I use an Ivation Wireless, never had a problem with it. I also have an iGrill 2 I may have used once.

Thanks for the rec, gents. Sounds like Thermoworks Smoke it is.

As for what happened to the Mavs, probes weren't very durable / dependable. Second Mav somehow melted. Let's just attribute that one to O.E.

Be sure to watch those probes. If the connection point from the wire to probe gets wet its all over.

Was just checking into the Smoke myself...seems it only has two ports for probes. So if you have one monitoring pit temp, there's only one more available port to monitor meat. That may pose a problem if you're doing more than a single cut of meat.

I'm currently using the Mav Redi Chek which allows for 4 probes - but the probes malfunction pretty regularly so I wouldn't recommend it.

Back