Sams 2014 (info)

SkinEz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK I have never competed in one of these contests. However, I am thinking about entering one. I would definitley be in region 5 being from WV. Anybody have any pros, cons they want to share. Good contest, overrated, not worth it, great experienc... Thanks:-?:-?

I'm assuming you have read the 2 active threads about Sam's so I will skip the Walmart vs. Main Street USA part of the equation. Bottom line is that the locals are 30 teams for 10K, that is good money for a 30 team comp and if you advance it only gets better. As folks have said in the other threads, the Sam's contests are focused on the competition and not all the other "stuff" that can be distracting in almost every other event across the country (drunk people begging for ribs, loud bands, peoples choice, etc). Last year was our first year and we enjoyed the experience and will do it again this year. To us it is a good paying competition that is well organized and within our travel distance. Hope to see you somewhere in region 5.

We competed for the first time last year, and plan on doing it again this year. As far as contests go, it's well run but bare bones. No frills (including bring your own water unless you want to hike to the spigot on the store), but it's also the only contest we did where ALL that we did was compete, which is kind of nice in it's own way.

Some people do not like sam’s, not “cooker friendly”.. got to get your own water, etc.. etc.. The contest is held in a parking lot, of a business, and taking up spaces used for paying customers. It is bare bones, not great electric, get in and then get out!. I bring my own water, and if power is not great, I got a generator. It’s nice not to have a band blaring, and paying damn good money is cooker friendly enough. The main reason for me to get into sam’s was to prove to myself I could do well in the nationals. By the time you get to the regoinals and the nationals, you’ll find it’s very nice to be in a crowd of competitors that are all serious, and all want to win. I get into sam’s because there’s 749 other teams that go, and i got to prove consistency. I love it. There are those more cooker friendly contests, which are nice, I like them the much as the next guy. But sometimes you want to try to put yourself up against a big group of bada$$es and see how well you can hang.

The two biggest cons for us was lack of water and cooking on asphalt. My back hurt for weeks after standing on the pavement all weekend. But, we are doing sams again for many of the reasons above. Good payout, well run by Troy, no drunk party crowd stumbling by etc. plus who does not love a bracket style competition.

I love the Sam's Series. Great tournament style, pure competition, minimal frills. Been blessed to get to the finals in Bentonville twice. This year the regionals have been moved farther away from me. Last 2 years was 10 hours each way, this year 12 hours each way. Four extra hours of driving in a long weekend already may be too much. Tough decision to make.

I love the Sam's Series. Great tournament style, pure competition, minimal frills. Been blessed to get to the finals in Bentonville twice. This year the regionals have been moved farther away from me. Last 2 years was 10 hours each way, this year 12 hours each way. Four extra hours of driving in a long weekend already may be too much. Tough decision to make.

I hope you decide to get in Rub!

Water in not too bad if you grab a shopping cart to put your 5 gallon buckets in. We will definitely be back this year, Troy and Mike run an outstanding Comp!!

Water in not too bad if you grab a shopping cart to put your 5 gallon buckets in. We will definitely be back this year, Troy and Mike run an outstanding Comp!!

Walmart sells those blue water dispensing jugs in the camping section, holds about 3-5 gallons. Can't remember. works easier than a bucket.

We've done Laurel, MD the last two years. I like how Troy and his crew runs the event and have no problem walking a bit with a shopping cart to get water. That said, we will be skipping Laurel this year only because it conflicts with our favorite competition in New Holland, PA. I guess we could try for Harrisburg, but we're going to sit this year out. Good luck to all who cook the series.

Walmart sells those blue water dispensing jugs in the camping section, holds about 3-5 gallons. Can't remember. works easier than a bucket.

We did buckets for several years, until we found that big blue jug that Podge talked about. Cheap and convenient.

I've never had any problems at the Sam's events. Hopefully I will get in again this year for the 4th year!

How difficult is it to get in? Should I be ready to sign on at 2000 (8 pm) tonight?

How difficult is it to get in? Should I be ready to sign on at 2000 (8 pm) tonight?

It completely depends on the contest. Some will sell out tonight, and fairly quickly. Others won't sell out at all. I will be ready to enter my info at 7:00 CST tonight.

If for some reason you don't get in make sure you sign up for the waiting list. Many teams either back out or move comps so spots usually open up.

Back