Donny Teel or Tuffy Stone Class

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking at these two pitmasters as possible classes to take this winter. Looking for advice from people who have taken these classes. Examples of what I am looking for worth taking,good teachers,learned a lot ect ect. Thanks in advance for your help

Tuffy's is more money, but probably more worth it. I don't know Donny Tell, but to take a class from someone who cooks the Jack in his first contest of the year and wins it, I would love to pick his brain.

I believe Tuffy cooked a couple, but it is still impressive his consistency. Botht are bad ass cooks. Donny has been doing it longer and my guess is Tuffy is way more detail oriented. They both would be awesome classes.

Last edited:
I believe Tuffy cooked a couple, but it is still impressive his consistency. Not are bad ass cooks. Donny has been doing it longer and my guess is Tuffy is way more detail oriented. They both would be awesome classes.

Tuffy has the benefit of a controller for his pit.

His name is George;)

Shoot me a pm......I'll. Tell you all about donny's class....can't say enough great things

I took Tuffys class and really learned a lot. He gave timelines, recipes, prep and trimming etc. Great food was served too :). He cooked on two Jambos for the class and yes George was tending fire

Donny Teel is a great cook and has competed for a long time. On top of that he is a great guy. So in my opinion, I think you would enjoy either of our classes. In my class, I try to teach everything that I know, think about , and do when cooking competition barbecue. I give a goodie bag at the end with samples of ingredients that I use. We go through everything from start to finish, including the mental and philosophical parts of competition barbecue. We serve 3 meals in addition to serving samples of the 4 meats. My goal is to give everything I have to offer. There are many great classes to take and it good way to increase your knowledge, but we all have to apply a lot of work to that knowledge. Over time it becomes experience with your processes and understanding of small details that make great barbecue, which we are need to really work on, all of the time. In my class, I will give the exact recipes, rubs, sauces, ingredients, presentations, and methods that I use currently. I have some say that they simple and straightforward , but I still feel exhausted after a contest. I know classes can be costly, but they can be a good use of money for some people. In the end, we all have to put in a lot of work. Tuffy

Wow. Seems Tuffy isn't too busy shining those throphies :) Welcome to the forum ...

I also want to add that Tuffy has a very nice facility for the class. I drive past it every day.

Donny Teel is a great cook and has competed for a long time. On top of that he is a great guy. So in my opinion, I think you would enjoy either of our classes. In my class, I try to teach everything that I know, think about , and do when cooking competition barbecue. I give a goodie bag at the end with samples of ingredients that I use. We go through everything from start to finish, including the mental and philosophical parts of competition barbecue. We serve 3 meals in addition to serving samples of the 4 meats. My goal is to give everything I have to offer. There are many great classes to take and it good way to increase your knowledge, but we all have to apply a lot of work to that knowledge. Over time it becomes experience with your processes and understanding of small details that make great barbecue, which we are need to really work on, all of the time. In my class, I will give the exact recipes, rubs, sauces, ingredients, presentations, and methods that I use currently. I have some say that they simple and straightforward , but I still feel exhausted after a contest. I know classes can be costly, but they can be a good use of money for some people. In the end, we all have to put in a lot of work. Tuffy

Last edited:
One of these days I'd love to take Tuffy's class. Anyone that can win 3 Jack's in a row has to know something.

I would highly recommend Tuffy's class having taken it. Not only did he provide recipes, timelines, etc., his perspective / approach on BBQ was what I found most informative.

My wife was jealous I took a team member b/c when I told her how well they treated us (the facilities, the service, the FOOD) she said it sounded like a vacation and she wants to go to a future class.

I can't say enough about Tuffy and the staff @ the class.

Am I the only person that has noticed that Tuffy with facial hair looks a little like evil Spock?

Best of luck this weekend Tuffy!

Attachments

• ZU_OQKQW.jpg
    ZU_OQKQW.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 130
  • mirror-mirror.jpg
    mirror-mirror.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 131
Judging from my Q team's scores this season, I should pony up the bucks and take one of "Spock's" classes.:doh:

I can speak from personal experience to Tuffy being a class act, outstanding person and of course a great BBQ cook. He came to the rescue during a personal emergency at the 2015 Jack. Something I will never forget. I took his class last year and it was full of info, hospitality and he gives you EVERYTHING.

Back