Removing Drum Lining.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone tried paint remover from an aerosol can? That stuff removes about anything. My thought was to use paint remover to get the bulk of it and use a drill or angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to finish the job. My son has a drum and I thought about getting a kit from Big Poppa smokers.

Says resists temps up to 120°. Does a fire burn it out completely?
In my case it did not. I spent countless hours crawling into the drum with ear plugs with an orbital sander (60 grit) trying to remove all traces of the liner. The time you will spend IMHO is not worth it. If you can find a source that can sand blast it for a reasonable price, I would go that route. I had visions of building about 6 of them and even purchased a MIG welder. Threw in the towel and purchased a large WSM and never looked back.
Good luck,

Just remembered. I once had a guitar refinished. It had a thick epoxy coating that I had to remove before the refinisher would touch it. I used a heat gun but it was a real bitch. Got it off though. I saw some food grade barrels for cheap. Any idea what if any type of lining they may have?

Barrels are funny. Flip them over and look for a makers mark. Try and find drums made in the good old USA (thicker). Mine were from a tortilla factory out of San Antonio that contained lard with a USA stamp. If the food barrels are green, more than likely they contained apple juice from China. The chicom drums I have owned were thinner were not of the same quality. If the drums have a liner, it is a phenolic lining. See above link.

In my case it did not. I spent countless hours crawling into the drum with ear plugs with an orbital sander (60 grit) trying to remove all traces of the liner. The time you will spend IMHO is not worth it. If you can find a source that can sand blast it for a reasonable price, I would go that route. I had visions of building about 6 of them and even purchased a MIG welder. Threw in the towel and purchased a large WSM and never looked back.
Good luck,

Or some people are in the camp that if a screaming hot fire can't take it out a low n slow cooking fire ain't gonna do nothing. Burn it, wash it, season it, cook.

YMMV

One mans brain tumor is another mans headache. Vets in Vietnam made BBQ pits made from drums that once contained agent orange. I personally would not recommend it.

If you don't want to fark with a liner Don't buy a Food Grade Drum!!!! Look for drums that held oil or antifreeze or transmission fluid. Or find a drum refurbishing place. Around here an open head refurbished drum with a lid is 25.00 cleaned no liner all you need to do is drill your holes and mount the hardware.

Find a fab shop or paint shop near you that does sand blasting- guy near me only charged $20 for both the drum and the lid.

No heat warping from burning it out.

No crawling inside with a grinder for 4+ hrs.

No head-aches or bleeding ears or vibration numbness.

If you don't want to fark with a liner Don't buy a Food Grade Drum!!!! Look for drums that held oil or antifreeze or transmission fluid. Or find a drum refurbishing place. Around here an open head refurbished drum with a lid is 25.00 cleaned no liner all you need to do is drill your holes and mount the hardware.

I seen you were from Jonesboro, and thought I spent a lot of farken time looking for suitable drums and could have gotten them locally for $25. Then I seen we are a state apart, lol.

Back