• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Trail of The South- visiting from Ireland!

Baste

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey There,

I'm coming over from Ireland in April for 3 weeks to do a BBQ trail starting in Texas, then heading to New Orleans, then to end in Memphis for Memphis in May. I'm flying into Dallas first and was planning to work my way down to Austin then maybe to San An and then Houston. from there I want to check out New Orleans, then up to Memphis for MIM.

I already have some must-visit joints on my list like; Franklin, Lockhart, Salt Lick, J meuller, Mickelwait (spelling) and Big Bob Gibsons...

I would also like to visit some craft beer breweries, bars and any BBQ/Beer or other food events during my time over there. I'm pretty busy running Ireland's only BBQ festival so I want to maximize my time over there and see as much as possible.

rough plan is;
fly into Dallas or New York (if the latter, I will fly to Dallas from NY)
drive down through texas (maybe some flights) to; Austin, San An (maybe) and Houston
drive over to New Orleans (maybe fly)
Drive form New Orleans to Memphis
Visit some joints in Tennessee then fly up to NY or else home to Dublin (depending if I visit NY before Dallas or not)

Looking for some help/recommendations/Do's/Don't/Must eat's/Must Drink/Must See's :)

Oh yeah, I'm also looking to do some fly/bass fishing and shoot some big guns!

Thanks in advance from a very cold Dublin :)

You might want ot try and hit N.C. & S.C. if you're doing a true BBQ trail.

In Dallas... Hutchins, Lockhart (the restaurant, not the town) and Pecan Lodge. On the way to Austin, Miller's in Belton and Louie Mueller in Taylor. In Houston, Killen's. If you feel like an hour and a half detour East of Dallas, Stanley's in Tyler. I wouldn't bother with Salt Lick personally. It is a long ride from Austin, and the Q is mediocre IMO. It's an OK trip if you want to get a nice country ride and see the restaurant (it is a cool experience), but I would save my stomach for better joints.

My wife and I are going back to Ireland this year and I'll PM you before we take off and you can tell us were we should go when we get there.

In Memphis, I recommend the Cozy Corner and the Bar-B-Que Shop. I recommend avoiding Rendezvous.

Back