Clyde Cooper's Barbecue - Raleigh, NC

bbq.tom

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hillsborough, NC (UNC "TarHeel" country!)
Just stopped by Clyde Cooper's BBQ for lunch again the other day and just had to provide a wee bit of information to all-y'all about how good it is!

Cooper's has been in business since January 1, 1938, but has only been owned by Debbie and Randy Holt since August 2008. They have returned Cooper's to the high quality establishment that Clyde took pride in.

EVERYTHING on the menu is WONDERFUL, but I MUST comment on their brisket - some of the best brisket that I've EVER put in my mouth!!! I'm a Certified Master (Barbecue) Judge with the Kansas City Barbeque Society and the North Carolina BBQ Association, as well as a Certified Barbecue Judge with the Memphis Barbecue Network, the Southern BBQ Network, the North Carolina Pork Council, and the North Carolina Barbecue Society, so I've tasted and judged MORE than my fair share of brisket and barbecue - so that last comment about Cooper's brisket being good should carry some weight! I swear, if Cooper's was to compete with their brisket they would definitely win many contests! All their other fares are great as well!

If anyone is ever in the Raleigh/Triangle area of North Carolina, do yourself a favor and stop by Clyde Cooper's! Beware - they are cash only and close early (Mon-Sat 10-6, closed on Sunday). ENJOY!!!

Let me know Gorden and we will hit it together!
Are you back on this side of the Atlantic anytime soon?

I'm scheduled to be in Spain at least until July, but it might be extended another year. The opportunity at RTP appears to have dissolved, but it's not entirely clear. George might know something, but he probably won't say so as not to hurt my feelings.

Thanks for the review, I'll be up there in about 3 weeks and will have to give it a try if we are staying nearby.

Thanks for the review, I'll be up there in about 3 weeks and will have to give it a try if we are staying nearby.

If I didn't know you were a Brethren I'd tell ya to keep yer Gator lovin' arse down there...we have enough of yins!!!:laugh::laugh:

I kid of course. Coopers is a place on my list to try in my own state that I haven't tried yet. Be sure to let us know whatcha think when you head up this way.

We were in NC in June 2013 and hit a few BBQ places. Clyde Coopers was BY FAR the BESt!

We were there for a convention and took a few friends. You could see they were not sure when we walked in (they like fancy places) but I knew right away by the smell, down home people and atmosphere.

The food was excellent - I ordered some of everything so we all could get a taste of all they offered.

Our friends were converted and even went back again before we left. Well bought some cracklins to go - they are excellent.

Clyde Coopers is on my must go anytime in the area list!

Tom - I'm going to have to make it out there on a saturday some time.

Did you hear there is a new place opening up in Cary and another has opened in Apex. Don't know how good the Apex one will be since it is more of a high end place. Same guy that owns Peak City Grill is an owner in the new que place.

Gore - I think you're probably right about the opportunity. However your feelings aren't why I haven't said anything :). Truth is I don't really know. I've heard different thing from different people. Hell, I've heard different things from the same person. You know how it is.

Hey George, If you are referring to "City BBQ" in Cary - all I can say is get there early, bring lots of $$, and get the brisket! I've not found anything else to be noteworthy on a positive point.

As far as a new Q-joint in Apex - The Blistered Pig - I've not been there YET, but hope to soon! You are right about it being a bit expensive. I sure hope it is worth it!

Take care! Hope to see you on the circuit!

Tom - I've been to City BBQ. You are right about the lines and honestly the brisket and sausage were the only things I'd get again.

The new place I was talking about is Big Mike's BBQ. He currently runs a food truck but is planning on opening in Cary. He was supposed to open back in October but things got pushed out form what I understand. Apparently he got all of his permits form Cary and is close to opening.

Here is the website http://www.apexbbq.com/

The new place I was talking about is Big Mike's BBQ. He currently runs a food truck but is planning on opening in Cary. He was supposed to open back in October but things got pushed out form what I understand. Apparently he got all of his permits form Cary and is close to opening.

I've seen Big Mike's website and understand he should be opening soon. I thought you were probably mentioning The Blistered Pig. I've not seen or heard anything about them, but sure want to try sometime. Have you any knowledge on the BPig?

Thanks, Tom. Possible foray back into my home state next week... something to pull me into Raleigh from Tidewater, VA. Anything good between Emporia / Wake Forest?

Need to pay respects to my Grandparents at SEBS Cemetery...

Back