City Barbecue

Team DD

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever ate at a City Barbecue? Going to Columbus, Ohio next week for work and see there is a City BBQ close by. Thought I might check it out. Anyone know anything about them?

Thanks,
Doug

I ate at the one in Gahanna about 10 or so years ago... it was OK.
Same as any other franchise BBQ restaurant.
Go and enjoy!

It's OK....people don't go to Columbus Ohio in search of good BBQ.. :mrgreen:

I have tried them all, and none are really stellar..even the ones they say are good.. Ray Ray's, Rt 62....

It works when in a fix, but don't expect anything other than normal "Fast Food" BBQ.

We have one near us...I think its pretty good for a chain restaurant around here.

Ok then Columbus has no "great bbq" joints. Does the surrounding area have any? Or heck Ohio at all? I haven't lived in Ohio long but I haven't seen nor heard any mentioned.

I've been to a new one that recently opened in Indiana and it was ok. I thought it was better than Famous Dave's as far as chain BBQ goes. You have to set your expectation level appropriately.

If you're going to Columbus, ditch the BBQ joints and try and go here
Schmidts Sausage House 240 East Kossuth Street, Columbus, OH 43206

Have to agree with Snapper-G, There are several fantastic places to eat in Columbus but not for BBQ. City BBQ has pretty good sides but I have never had meat from there that wasn't dry or had a real smokey flavor.

City BBQ is ok, but I'd go to Thurman's Cafe at 183 Thurman Ave, Columbus for a Thurman burger or The Thurmanator if you're real hungry.

Ok then Columbus has no "great bbq" joints. Does the surrounding area have any? Or heck Ohio at all? I haven't lived in Ohio long but I haven't seen nor heard any mentioned.

"City BBQ" in Ohio is okay, as is their outlyer in Cary NC (thanks George!).

As far as "good" bbq in Ohio - the best that I've had (and I've tried MANY throughout the state) is "Oinkadoodlemoo" in Kettering (just on the south side of Dayton). Pretty dad-gum good stuff if you ask me!!!

Skyline Chili! 2 cheese coneys and a chili 5 way :thumb:

Since we are recommending places other than BBQ, get a pizza from a big chain there. Can't remember the name but it is thin crust cut in square and their logo is a leaning tower

Oh yeah, sky line is a winner too

I second the goetta. Seems unique to that area. It's not something I ate all the time when I lived near Cincy but it's good. Gotta try some goetta if u get around that area.

I actually was passing by City Barbecue today around lunch time, so I decided to stop. All I got was the BBQ beans and brisket. The brisket was so overdone that it was falling apart but had good flavor. The beans were a bit sweeter than I care for but not bad. All in all, It was a decent meal but wasn't anything I would go out of my way for.

Back