MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
sarcasm? never heard of it....is it like a joke only not funny?

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #17
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
sarcasm? never heard of it....is it like a joke only not funny?

Its a joke that people without a sense of humor find it not funny. I bet your are blast at party's...wait who am i kidding, you either dont get invited to them, or are so socially akward, you don't attend them.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #18
JD08
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
Its a joke that people without a sense of humor find it not funny. I bet your are blast at party's...wait who am i kidding, you either dont get invited to them, or are so socially akward, you don't attend them.
I'm super fun at parties. Are you having a party? Can I come? Should I bring covered dish? Plus one okay?
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
qapla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Qapla

What brand pellets? Have you looked to see if there are any "fillers/binders/glue" in the pellets or are they 100% wood?

Also, are you certain that an animal did not "leave their mark" in your pellets?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
To the OP... Can pellets go bad, absorb odor, moisture, or just deteriorate? If not properly stored, yes... and nothing last forever, so a good airtight container will help protect your pellet investment. Good luck.
Thanks RCAlan, I did have them in a plastic bin with cover, but I donít think you could call it air tight.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #21
Tbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by qapla View Post
What brand pellets? Have you looked to see if there are any "fillers/binders/glue" in the pellets or are they 100% wood?

Also, are you certain that an animal did not "leave their mark" in your pellets?
Thanks qapla, I dumped the pellets in the bin and threw away the bag, so I donít know. I think I purchased them at Cabelas. And yes Iím pretty sure no animal left their mark.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #22
Tbro

Thanks All for you replies, I donít think itís an air flow problem because Iíve used this same setup before with good result. Iím going to get ride of the pellets. I just placed an order for a sampler pack from Cookinpellets.com. When I get these Iíll maybe double bag them and keep in the house.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #23
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i keep pellets for years without a problem. they are in the top of my shed which is way above 40*. ;)

do NOT store them on concrete..they will eventually absorb moisture from the concrete. If you have to leave them on the floor, store on a pallet or something to raise them up.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #24
2 stroke smoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Eric
Default Pellet contamination.

Pellets stored in their plastic bags with the zipper tightly closed and stored off the cement or dirt should last forever. It's sawdust with a cellulose binder. No petroleum product is used in them. (Unless they came from China) No chemical smells should come from extruded sawdust pellets.

If they soaked up something from where they were stored would cause the smell, or as others have said a closed smoke chamber or even goo in the grill can taint your smoky goodness.

My buddy bought a palate of pellets 4 years ago and had a number of them stacked up in his garage. The ones on the bottom managed to pull moisture out of the concrete and turn to dust. The ones above grade were just fine. That was an expensive lesson!
2 stroke smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #25
SmokeRingsMatter
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i keep pellets for years without a problem. they are in the top of my shed which is way above 40*. ;)

do NOT store them on concrete..they will eventually absorb moisture from the concrete. If you have to leave them on the floor, store on a pallet or something to raise them up.

I store them on my concrete slab but i keep them in plastic water tight bins on rollers. So far i have not noticed any swelling or condensation on the bottom of the bins.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->