Roll Call. Inside 30 days. NYC BBQ Cook-Off, Historic Richmond Town, Staten Island, NYC - April 10-11, 2015

dr pearl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Who's in? Haven't seen a team list.
There was an earlier thread with a few teams confirming their appearance.
Dr. Pearl's Medicinal Smoke BBQ Team will be there.

Make sure you have ponchos, galoshes and from the looks of it a canoe

Why the heck is this so early in the season?? are any of you vending at this? I have no desire to try and compete but always looking to try others stuff :)

Why the heck is this so early in the season?? are any of you vending at this? I have no desire to try and compete but always looking to try others stuff :)

I don't think anyone will be "selling" food at this. There is a peoples choice and the public is suppose to pay to get in and then get samples from people and cast votes. We probably won't be part of the official people choice but that won't stop people from asking us for food so we'll probably still be giving away stuff we aren't taking home with us.

Why not early? Teams are anxious to get their comp season started and you gotta start sometime.
There is no vending by the teams. Like Brewer said, some teams will participate in the Peoples Choice and guest pay to enter and vote for the pulled pork they like the best.

The TailgateJoe team will be there competing!

Also, we are going to have a separate stand set up to vend some food. It won't be bbq, not many will pay with all the free stuff being handed out, but good stuff nonetheless.

chilicheeseburgerslaw.jpg

richmondtownvendingchalkboard900px.jpg

I don't think anyone will be "selling" food at this. There is a peoples choice and the public is suppose to pay to get in and then get samples from people and cast votes. We probably won't be part of the official people choice but that won't stop people from asking us for food so we'll probably still be giving away stuff we aren't taking home with us.
Make sure to have enough team members to handle the crush if you're participating in people's choice. IMO, the organizers of this event misrepresent this contest to the public and you will be besieged by people who paid $12 to enter and feel they are entitled to a pulled pork sample regardless of how close to turn in time it may be. I know this event is a huge success for Historic Richmond Town but I found it to be a big pain in the a** and so I won't be back even after having gotten calls each of the last two years.

I don't think we are going to start doing hand outs till 1-130 just so doesn't interfere with our turn ins.

I don't think we are going to start doing hand outs till 1-130 just so doesn't interfere with our turn ins.
Good luck with that. They let the crowd in at noon and if you're participating in people's choice your site will be marked to that effect. People will come up, lots of people, people who think they are there to judge your food. People who are under the misconception that you care more about their opinion than that of the judges sitting upstairs in the main building because they have no idea that there are judges sitting upstairs in the main building. People who feel entitled because they have been told that for their entry fee you must feed them a little cup of your bbq. These same people will clog the walkway as you hurry to make your turn ins for 12:30, 1:00 & 1:30 and won't have a clue that they need to get out of your way so you can make it on time. And because this is Staten Island and there is a huge appetite for BBQ in NYC there will be lots of these people and the organizers will make lots of money and then the same team will win people's choice again for the third year in a row because, surprise, they too are from Staten Island. And for the record, I know and like those guys, but knowing what I know I would never, ever enter people's choice at this event again.

Back