Money muscle carving tips

dtelencio

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So getting some ok slices but having any issue with the initial cut and how far back on the butt you cut. Also after I slice it seems like some of the pieces start to fall apart and won't stay whole. Just looking for some tips

If you're going to slice the money muscle, you'll need to separate it from the rest of the butt sometime between 160-190.

I cook my butts at 235° and seperate the MM at internal temp of 182°-187° the wrap in foil and hold in the cambro until I'm ready to sauce it and put it back in the smoker to tet the sauce.

The butt is a very complex piece of meat. Here is what I suggest: buy a butt and separate it into individual muscles. Everywhere you find a natural separation line, follow it. Don't cut anything other than membrane or where the muscle attaches to bone. Then cook a whole butt and separate it the same way and taste each piece. This will give you a better idea of what you want to turn in and what you want to avoid.

I know this sounds kind of odd, but you will understand the cut much better when you do this. When I started, I pretty much thought of it as a big hunk of meat, but it is a collection of many different types of muscle, some much better than the others. For example, a lot of people like to turn in the tubes (which I believe is what is 'falling off' your MM). Many people don't even know they exist.

tender bark is very important when slicing the money muscle. if the bark is dry or hard it will have the tendency to crush the meat with the pressure of the knife. that being said the shape of the muscle when after slicing is important too. create a base by cutting the muscle off in such a way that when it is sliced it creates half circles and put the flat side down and begin slicing at the top of the round.

Last edited:
Good trimming video by Jim Ehlers on youtube.

Yup. I just watched that video yesterday! I'd take a little more time and care with the MM than he does on the video, but it is an excellent tutorial.

So does everyone separate the money muscle after it reaches temp? I would think that keeping it attached would help render additional juices while it rest. Would it be better to cook a separate butt for chunks and pulled?

The MM is just that....one piece of meat. No juices will render, by keeping it attached to the rest of the butt. Also, KCBS rules allow you to separate it, when it's done and return the remainder of the meat to the cooker.

Also, when we cook 2 butts, they always finish at different times. This allows us to have variety if one if over cooked, or under cooked.

If the MM is falling part when you slice it, it is overcooked. As others have said, you need to separate it when it's tender. Usually 185-195.

Can you separate the MM at 185-190 and put it back on the smoker in KCBS?? I didn't think you could do that..Maybe I misread the rules

Can you separate the MM at 185-190 and put it back on the smoker in KCBS?? I didn't think you could do that..Maybe I misread the rules

Yes, you can separate and return to the cooker once "done," which seems to have been defined as 145 degrees (most who separate probably do so much later in the cook).

Back