Just finished packing for VA

Good job man! With this a call you are more than likely hooked for good. That beer comment you mentioned was a good laugh too! Congratulations:clap2:

It was fun and I can't wait to go back next year. I really got thank all of you guys for your help. Seriously I definitely wouldn't have gotten to where I am without all your help. So thank you for putting up with me. I even through in spraying apple juice on the ribs and pork at the end before turn in as suggested jeffr and itbfq. Thanks guys I think that made a difference. We boiled it on our little burner and put in a spray bottle. It gave the ribs an even nicer shine. That stuff was really hot. The pork well it must have dried out fast anyways as first judge gave us great scores and the rest gave us some bad scores as in 6 and 7. Ribs though mostly 8's a few 9's .
The first place team in the backyard let us try their pork and their ribs. Very very vinegary taste to them. I have heard of vinegar based sauce but I never realized how much vinegar people use in their vinegar sauce. It was good but very strong taste of vinegar. It was different from what I am use to different but very good.

Glad you had a good contest. It's a slippery slope from here though and if you weren't hooked, you probably are now!

Yeah I am hooked and I think my wife might be hooked too. She is talking about adjusting her work schedule so we can hit more contests.

Congrats on your call. Sorry I couldn't walk around to meet you, I had a ridiculously busy time when I got there. Hopefully next time!

No problem I totally get it. We were over 2 hours late due to insane traffic so we couldn't socialize a lot either. Maybe next time.

We skipped I-95 and went through a route my wife planned out... No cars at all. We went through Appalachian mountains which I hope to never do again as it was the most winding roads I have ever been on. We went way out of the way. I got to take the map off my wife I think she has lost her touch.

Congrats

Nice meeting you too. Congrats on the first place brisket!

I was a judge @ pickin & pullin last weekend. 1st congrats on your finish. I don't know if I judged your entry but I can say there was some great cooks /entries especialy in ribs & brisket. It's really hard judging when the cooks are so good. All did well and only made me look foward to my next judging and to become a better cook myself. Hang in there and keep at it. Best of luck in the future.

R/S
sgm2004

I was a judge @ pickin & pullin last weekend. 1st congrats on your finish. I don't know if I judged your entry but I can say there was some great cooks /entries especialy in ribs & brisket. It's really hard judging when the cooks are so good. All did well and only made me look foward to my next judging and to become a better cook myself. Hang in there and keep at it. Best of luck in the future.

R/S
sgm2004

Thanks. We were in the backyard event this year. It was a blast and I can't wait for next year. We probably will be backyard again next year but you never know. I loved that the event let backyard cooks compete overnight. It was an awesome experience. Not sure if you judged our box or not but next year after the competition is over feel free to stop by and sample some of our Q we would love to get your opinion on the flavor profile.

Congrats on a great result. You sure you aren't ready to give the pro side a try? It was a really nice venue, and I will go back if they can work out the dates to be back to back with triple threat again.

Congrats on a great result. You sure you aren't ready to give the pro side a try? It was a really nice venue, and I will go back if they can work out the dates to be back to back with triple threat again.

Thanks. Probably won't give the pro side a try for a bit. The entry fee is a big factor in that decision. I want to compete as much as I can and to be honest I think the extra meats and extra cost to enter would really limit us on the number of contests we could do in a year. We are doing 2 more this year so far and depending on how the wife recovers from having our second kid we may squeeze in one more. This one was $75 and the next one is $25 and then $125. So we still haven't hit the cost of one pro kcbs contest. Plus less meat to cook and buy. It just makes sense for where we are it in our lives to stay in the backyard/amateur division. Some day we will go pro but for now I am happy competing in the backyard divisions. It was a blast and I can't wait for next year. I have a feeling this is going to be the one I look forward to every year. Next year I think we will get in early maybe the day before as the traffic was awful on I-95.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Next year I think we will get in early maybe the day before as the traffic was awful on I-95.

We went a week early - straight there from Triple Threat. The Italian restaurant there is amazing, worth a visit. We went three times. :becky:

Next year I think we will get in early maybe the day before as the traffic was awful on I-95.
At least you were moving. Today I shut off my engine and sat there.
Congrats on a fine finish!

Thanks. We were in the backyard event this year. It was a blast and I can't wait for next year. We probably will be backyard again next year but you never know. I loved that the event let backyard cooks compete overnight. It was an awesome experience. Not sure if you judged our box or not but next year after the competition is over feel free to stop by and sample some of our Q we would love to get your opinion on the flavor profile.

Rusty Kettle,

It would be my pleasure sometime again best of luck.

R/S
sgm2004

Back