Getting Started

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to start competing in nyc tri state area. Anyone know of some local comps, do not necessarily have to be NEBS or KCBS. Also if somebody could point me in the direction of a bare bones supply list. Enjoy backyard queing for family, but not sure if I will like comps. Wany to make the minimum investments for time being. All advice appreciated.

I'd suggest going to an ever and talking to some of the teams. Friday night is better for this than Saturday. At least until after turn - ins.

I'm a one man show so you can compete solo, but I'd recommend at least one to three others to help out. Our each of you can do your own category.

Check out the Westport Blues Views & BBQ Festival in Westport CT. It's a backyard/ amateur one day contest. $100 entry fee. Four categories. Chicken, ribs, chef's choice and dessert. Follows KCBS rules. It's a great way to get your feet wet and experience what it's all about without spending a lot of money. This was my first contest back in 2009. The Killer Hogs have a great checklist on their website that you can download.

Looking to start competing in nyc tri state area. Anyone know of some local comps, do not necessarily have to be NEBS or KCBS. Also if somebody could point me in the direction of a bare bones supply list. Enjoy backyard queing for family, but not sure if I will like comps. Wany to make the minimum investments for time being. All advice appreciated.

Good idea, never been to a comp, only know it from reality t.v.

Check out the Westport Blues Views & BBQ Festival in Westport CT. It's a backyard/ amateur one day contest. $100 entry fee. Four categories. Chicken, ribs, chef's choice and dessert. Follows KCBS rules. It's a great way to get your feet wet and experience what it's all about without spending a lot of money. This was my first contest back in 2009. The Killer Hogs have a great checklist on their website that you can download.

Will do thanks, seems like a good local starting point..will dl list asap

Back