Grape Rib Glaze

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been hearing about a Grape Rib Glaze people are using on their contest Ribs. Anyone have the receipe to share on this? Is it as good as people say it is?

Grape as in grape jelly ??

I used black cherry preserves on a rack of ribs this weekend with a little honey...and pineapple preserves and peach nectar on pork shoulder when it got foiled. both came out great.

I've used apple jelly and jalapeno jelly in the foil with baby backs, then the foil drippings as a gleze, and I use plum preserves as the base for glazing a Chinese pork tenderloin appetizer.

I've heard a lot of folks claim that the grape jelly glazes and sauces taste like Blues Hog. I could never see that.

Fruit jelly glazes rock. I go with about 3/4 cup of white wine added to whatever jelly or preserve im using and then mix it till it dilutes, and then slow and low on the stove till it thickens back up. Killer on chicken too. For a little sumthin, sumthin, float a habanero in the glaze early on for one minute at a time till its where you want it. I just toss it in and leave it there throughout. Hot.........yes. But people can't stop eating it.

Don't know if Dr BBQ is on or not but I was told he has a Grape Glaze Receipe for Ribs, I'll P.M. him and see if he has one or not.

I don't have a recipe, but I made a glaze once (messing around) using frozen grape concentrate. It turned out quite tasty.

I use half grape jelly and half que sauces for meatballs, works great.

Jeff

I've been hearing about a Grape Rib Glaze people are using on their contest Ribs. Anyone have the receipe to share on this? Is it as good as people say it is?

I judged at Roc City this past weeked (it was a great competition btw) and one of my entries had a grape jelly rib glaze. Frankly, I found the grape flavor to be a little out of place on ribs. Kind of like eating my rib with a mouthful of grape NeHi. The grape flavor was distracting. I gave it a 7 on taste. The more traditional sauces/glazes scored better.

And no, it tasted nothing like Blues Hog.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Grape jelly and BBQ sauce is good. My mom used to make a great BBQ sauce by mixing grape jelly, Heinz Ketchup and brown sugar to taste. I was amazed. It tasted good, and did not taste like grapes at all. Probably would work as a glaze or mop sauce, too.

For meatballs and little smokies, my significantly better half mixes equal parts chili sauce and grape jelly and it makes a great sauce.

I found the grape flavor to be a little out of place on ribs.
I'm with comfrank on this one. I may have screwed up somehow but the last grape jelly glaze I did on ribs was my last. They were the worst ribs I've ever cooked.

Back