Lodge fireholder

McSpazatron

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sometimes even the Weber kettle isnt quite right for the job. The last couple of weeks have had me looking for exuses to bust out the lodge hibachi (aka the fireholder). What better excuse than frying up some catfish filets!

Here it is. Trying it out with nature glo charcoal (first time buying that). One hundred percent osha approved plywood cooking surface held up by plastic horses. Actually that metal serving tray does a good job at insulating the wood. Just have to be careful with embers.

Crunchy double dredged goodness. I love catfish. Threw in some eggplant into the batter as well. Everything is perfect fried. Garage smelled like State Fair for a few days.

A couple of weeks later, I repeated the same exercice with some skirt steak for burritos. Heavily seasoned with chili powder and ancho chilli. First time trying ancho. Good stuff! Could have cooked them inside, but I kind of didn't see the point in doing such a thing.

I love this hibachi. It's also perfect for doing kabobs, just take the grill off and lay your skewers right over the top. Here is a bad "old timey" picture to prove it. (old flip phone camera). This was in my fireplace.

Ive had this a couple of years. The cast iron cracked at some point, hairline, up the side, but it is still holding together. It also really needs is to be wiped down after every cook with corn oil, followed by some heat in order to reseason it and keep it black. Otherwise it will get hot enough to cook off the seasoning each time.

Wouldnt mind a little hibachi like this made out of stainless. This one is fairly heavy, and cast iron is brittle as Ive found out. But it sure is nice to have when you need a nice hot contained fire.

I really enjoy grilling on mine, but need to use it for more like you do. Wife hates it when I fry fish inside so this is a good idea. For you thinking about one, Wally World had the best price 6 months ago. One tip, line the fire bowl with HD foil and cleanup is a breeze.

"could have cooked them inside"
It looks like you are in the garage with the door closed, many would consider that inside.

Ha ha. Touché good man, touché. In my defense, it was cold and I had to wear a light jacket...most of the way zipped up even. And while i needed to lower the door some due to threatening drizzle, a keen eye will note it's partially open. The elements were brutal, I could even see my breath man!!!

Nice work. I love my little hibachi grill

Agree. This hibachi hands down is the best for the final sear. I used it once for those rib eye deckles that are sold at costco. Got a nice dark to charred crust, while staying med rare on inside. Thing of beauty. The kabobs pictured were skirt steak chunks, and also come out incredible due to the close dry heat.

I need one of these. A buddy had one in high school that we'd use for cooking on his dad's boat as well as on the beach when island camping for late night & early morning fishing. Good times.

It's a great grill...well designed, well made in USA ...great for kebabs

Back