Do you really need a thermometer with WiFi

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I find two models on eBay
#1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/iCelcius-Wi...804629?hash=item2ef3aea515:g:j2kAAOSwFe5XxWQ~

iCelcius, single probe, US$68

#2.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tappecue-V2...214876?hash=item4b07ba925c:g:0EIAAOSwknJXzNYu

Tappecue, 4 probes, US$260

I find both sales are low.

I had same WiFi thermometer before, the wGrill, but setup to Internet was complicated, most non-I.T. persons could not access wGrill to Internet.
I redesign wGrill, setup is very easy,.
4 probes, expected retail price US$160.
The prototpye is ready and is online for some time. Everything seems good.

Before I put it into commercial production, I would like to ask you all a question, do you people really like this thing.

Will you leave your smoker at your backyard with fire on and you drive 20 miles away for something else.

I am investing my own pocket money, I really do not want to waste it.

Your serious reply is appreciated.
If at last I do produce this thing, US$99 to all serious reply.
But I may not produce it too. In this case you can only get my thanks.

I use a Flame Boss 200 wi fi controller on my BGE. It's accurate and controls the Egg spot-on.

I trust it, but I will not not leave a running pit or grill unattended.

The safety of my house is worth FAR much more.

I use the cyber Q and my smoker is far enough away from my house that I do leave the house while smoking.

You don't but it's a nice touch. Love my CyberQ WIFI.

Even without wifi, I leave my house. I do use DigiQ, which I have been able to trust enough to attend my kids soccer games an hour away from home. Knowing the actual temp when I am that far away would be awesome

I have a cyber q wifi, and i really like it, I can be else where and watch my meat, handy to be able to be at my in laws and still do the turkey

I like my tappecue. It is a little pricey. My stuffs far enough away from my house I don't mind leaving for a little bit.

I have a HeaterMeter and wifi is a requirement. It can email and text me. Plus I can save my cook logs if I want. Works on my phone because it's a simple webpage and I can VPN into my network and use it from anywhere.

I want WiFi because bluetooth doesn't have the range. I want a low alarm & a high alarm. If my fire goes out in the middle of the night and the temp drops too much, I want an alarm to wake me up, instead of waking up in the morning and having to throw out my food and have my BBQ ruined.

I leave all the time when I use my pellet cooker, but the other cookers not so much

I looked pretty hard at the cyber q, but after reading reviews and accepting that I'm no IT genius... I went with a digi q. So if there's an easy alternate I'd look at it.

I've owned 3 cyber Q WiFi units and I loved them.
Easy to set up, connect to and operate.
Terrible for resistance to moisture.
Which is why I have 0 that still work after 4 years :(

Well dang...That's telling.

If they can't hold up to a little weather, then I don't need it.

ouch! is the main control unit failing?

Im not into thermometers, i dont use much more than a dial therm in my offset and my instant read for spot checks. Still im interested for $99 and I'd bet other will be too.

A "need" is anything you cannot live without.

A "want" is everything else.

I could find myself wanting a wi-fi thermometer- if it was robust, accurate, easy to use and affordable.

But need? nope.

I'd like one. I do leave the pellet grill running when I'm not home but it would also help at night when I am. Bluetooth range is borderline to where I need it to have an alarm if something goes wrong while sleeping.

As bad as it would be to have a fire while away, one at night would be worse. Even though the pellet grill is pretty safe, I'd love a more reliable high temp warning that could get me woken up and down there before things get out of control

Back