Can a Weber Gas Grill Rotisserie kit be used on a kettle if I purchase a rotisserie ring?

worktogthr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I scored this: [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7519-Gas-Grill-Rotisserie/dp/B000WEMHGO"]Amazon.com : Weber 7519 Gas Grill Rotisserie : Weber Rotisserie Genesis : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame] for $20 bucks on LetGo. I have a genesis, but ideally would like the flexibility of using the rotisserie on one of my many kettles as I prefer charcoal cooking. If I were to acquire the rotisserie ring, would this set up be able to fit in the charcoal rotisserie ring? Thanks all! If not, I can always use it on the genesis with my AMAZEN tube for some smoke flavor.

The motor bracket size is pretty much universal so yes if the spit rod is long enough which it should be....at least 28" long.

The motor bracket size is pretty much universal so yes if the spit rod is long enough which it should be....at least 28" long.

Well it says it is 41.5 inches long for the whole unit, but that includes the motor and the counterweight on the other side. I read in the amazon questions that the rod itself is 32.375 inches long.

Know anywhere that will sell just the ring without the whole rotisserie set up? And more importantly will Octoforks work on this rotisserie? Maybe tough to spin long cuts like you do in the 007 because of the lack of clearance.

Well it says it is 41.5 inches long for the whole unit, but that includes the motor and the counterweight on the other side. I read in the amazon questions that the rod itself is 32.375 inches long.

Know anywhere that will sell just the ring without the whole rotisserie set up? And more importantly will Octoforks work on this rotisserie? Maybe tough to spin long cuts like you do in the 007 because of the lack of clearance.

To my knowledge, there are no vendors for just the rotisserie ring. You most likely will have to make your own or find a fabricator to do it for you.

You might watch CL for a used rotisserie ring.

I have both the rotis and could measure them for you if need be.
I could take a pic of them side by side if you want.
Got both for (ahem) $20. Included a Genesis Silver A as well. No lie.

I have both the rotis and could measure them for you if need be.
I could take a pic of them side by side if you want.
Got both for (ahem) $20. Included a Genesis Silver A as well. No lie.

Thanks but you don't have to. I was just wondering about it when I was at work. I am home now so I can measure it. Maybe I can find someone to fabricate a ring for me.

Some guy here tried to use aluminum flashing as a ring and it did not work.
Need something a bit sturdier.

Yes we will start offering the ring by itself fairly soon and I'll keep in touch with you as for when but hopefully this month.

The spit rod looks like it'll be plenty long so no worries there. The Octoforks will work for any size spit rod up to 1/2" and the one in that kit is a 5/16 so we're good there.

Most cooks in a kettle would be with the Octoforks fully retracted or somewhat extended. For the longer cuts while you couldn't do things like full racks of ribs (with the lid on) you'd be able to do things like 1/2 racks. In fact I was able to fit 3 racks worth of baby back ribs in my Jumbo joe mini wsm which is 18.5 diameter using 3 sets of Octoforks.

I have both rotis. The spit for the Genesis is square, but machined round in two spots in order to spin in the Genesis' firebox rotisserie grooves. The 7519/genesis spit will not spin in a kettle ring. You'll need to get a spit that will spin in the ring, and they only come with the kits.

As an alternative, you could find some bushings that attach to a 5/16" square spit (like these) and then you would have to enlarge the grooves in the ring in order to have the spit with bushings spin.

I have both rotis. The spit for the Genesis is square, but machined round in two spots in order to spin in the Genesis' firebox rotisserie grooves. The 7519/genesis spit will not spin in a kettle ring. You'll need to get a spit that will spin in the ring, and they only come with the kits.
You got my curiosity on this one. What difference would a couple of rounded spots in the spit make? There's a square end that goes in the motor and it doesn't matter what length of rod it is other than it's 28" or longer?

I see the rounded part at the end which is fine, the other rounded part is where it meets the motor bracket I assume? He wouldn't be using the same motor bracket, he'd be using the bracket that comes with the ring.

The rings normally come with the kits but I know I'm going to carry them by themselves.

I had a rotisserie from an old gasser when I got my first kettle. Cut a section from a 55gal drum and mounted the motor to it. Added 3 clips made from small conduit clamps to the inside to rest on the kettle. It sealed better than the Weber ring. Cost less than $10.

You got my curiosity on this one. What difference would a couple of rounded spots in the spit make? There's a square end that goes in the motor and it doesn't matter what length of rod it is other than it's 28" or longer?

I see the rounded part at the end which is fine, the other rounded part is where it meets the motor bracket I assume? He wouldn't be using the same motor bracket, he'd be using the bracket that comes with the ring.

The rings normally come with the kits but I know I'm going to carry them by themselves.

The weber kits do not use bushings on the spits for spinning. The spit rests directly in the U cutout of the firebox. Maybe a couple of pictures might explain this better? :)

Here's OnlyFire's spit for the Genesis

Specifically, see how the spit is round in those two spots? They are spaced to coincide exactly with the U cutout of the firebox. That U is smaller than the 5/16" square, but big enough for the two rounded sections.

The weber kits do not use bushings on the spits for spinning. The spit rests directly in the U cutout of the firebox. Maybe a couple of pictures might explain this better? :)

Here's OnlyFire's spit for the Genesis

Specifically, see how the spit is round in those two spots? They are spaced to coincide exactly with the U cutout of the firebox. That U is smaller than the 5/16" square, but big enough for the two rounded sections.
He won't have Weber kit but I see what you're saying. This is all a non issue though, trust me. If a rod needs a bushing use one if it doesn't then don't.

Wow! That might work! Not sure if that's a good price or not but that's about the only place I have seen one available without the rest of the kit! Thanks!

Just remember to get bushings if you plan to use the spit from your genesis

Those scratch and dent rings are great deals since they are stainless

Back