• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

brine a turkey in a trashbag inside a bucket?

I use Turkey baking bags, I know they are foodsafe. Personally I wouldn't use a trash bag for fear of that plastisizer test/smell getting on my food.

Trash bags are not food safe. Many are treated to inhibit bacteria.

Some trash bags have deodorizer in them. Clean, sanitized bucket alone would be fine. I like to use a small ice chest.

I used an unscented generic trash bag inside a 5 gallon bucket to brine my turkey for thanksgiving. (2 actually just in case one sprung a leak) Didn't have any issues and cleanup was much quicker. I'm thinking of switching to dry brining to eliminate most all of the cleanup though.

Don't know if that was right or wrong but my turkey turned out just fine.

gonna smoke a turkey tomoorrow . ok to brine in a clean trashbag?

I use Turkey baking bags, I know they are foodsafe. Personally I wouldn't use a trash bag for fear of that plastisizer test/smell getting on my food.

Trash bags are not food safe. Many are treated to inhibit bacteria.

BINGO.....

They sell food safe bucket liners, and even some food safe pan liners will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Also many stores sell brining bags or roasting bags which are food safe and will work. They are also more expensive than the bucket or pan liners, but they are more readily available as well.

@No

For Thanksgiving I used 2 2-gallon Ziploc bags stuffed into a cooler for 2 birds. Still filled the cooler with ice and water, but it required less brine and MUCH easier clean up of the cooler. Just a quick wash, rinse with a bleach water solution, rinse, and let it dry. No scooping out bits of herbs and spices, no layer of turkey slime.

I use an icing bucket from Sam's club bakery, just ask for used buckets. Some workers will look at you like you're stupid and say "no" but most of them will hook you up. Some will even clean them out for you.

They have 2-6 gallon ones and they're great for all kinds of stuff around the house. I assume Walmart would be the same if you're not a member since it says on the side of them "Sam's Club and Walmart Icing" really big.

What Kathicooks says. Ziploc's giant bags! I did two 14lbers and a breast in one XL bag for thanksgiving. Threw it into a cooler with some blue ice packs and I was cleaned up in minutes. Just tossed the bag at the end.

We have a sandwich chain called Firehouse here that sells 5 gallon buckets that their pickles get delivered in for a couple bucks. For a couple buckks, I know they're food safe, come with a lid, and they donate the profits to local first responders. I do all my brining in those with a food safe liner. Can't beat it iyam

Sure. Use whatever is clean. Paranoia about trace amounts of chemicals is a badge of scientific ignorance.

a lot groceries have in house bakeries. their frostings & fillings come in 5 & 3 gallon food grade buckets & they will usually give them to you. or you can check with bakeries or donut shops. some give the buckets away & some sell for a buck or two. for reference, a 20# turkey will fit into a 3 gallon bucket.
I get these all the time for storing sugar syrup for feeding my hives & storing honey.

Obviously not the ideal brining container. That being said, we've used trash bags for brining, on several occasions, without any issues. I now have a square, 6 gallon Cambro bucket for brining.

Matt

Try these in the future.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Bucket-Liner-Marinading-Brining/dp/B00J29FPVO"]Amazon.com: 5 Gallon Bucket Liner for Marinading and Brining - Disposable Pail Liner 25 per roll (25): Home Improvement[/ame]

You know, back when I kept a 135 gallon saltwater aquarium, I did water changes 30 gallons at a time. I used clear drumliners like everyone online. Nothing died, and SW fish and coral are some of the most sensitive critters out there.

Back