Kingsford Comp charcoal

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with this?
I have had some and want to know if anyone else has.

will elaborate more after some responses.

Michael

I have and liked it, does cost more then reg kingsford briggs. About 12 post up from this, someone else is talking about same subject.
Kingsford Competition Charcoal - Nakedwhiz Comparison Testing & Analysis
Now 9 post down!

Don't be shy!

I bought a few bags when it first arrived in the area and did a few cooks to see for myself what all the buzz was about and wasn't all that impressed. I think its overpriced and from what I see on some other sites its kinda HO-HUM.

burns really hot. i cooked my knee. but what really bothered me was that the ash really likes to fly.

We use it and are pretty happy with it. Don't like the price. Sometimes the ash seems to stick together and not fall through the grate without a little help.

My biggest issue was that Costco stopped carrying it after the sale ran out. So I went to Home Depot during their sale and stocked up on the standard blue bag instead.

For me it was a cost and availability issue. It took a bit of getting used to the comp (burns hotter, so use less or be prepared to reuse more, and watch those vents closely) but I did like it until the cheap supply dried up...

I've used it. I thought it worked just as well as regular kingsford. Still way to much ash for any kind of long cook. It created alot and it seemed to hold onto it to, so I had to shake them to konck it off.

I didn't like it for grilling but I smoked some fatties with it and it did "ok." I didn't get good grill marks and carmalization like with my normal charcoal. It was weird and left me scratching my head a few times. I also don't really get how the bag says 12lbs is the same as the 15lb bag. How can it be the same if you're missing 3lbs? Oh well this is just my opinion. I did like how it lit in the chimney though. Very quickly and had a good smell.

I used it once in the drum. It smells better than regular K, but for the price, I think the Stubbs is better.

After I finished my 2 pack from Costco I went back to regular K because there were abundant sales and coupons. I noticed a difference. The Kcomp starts much easier and burns hotter. I like Kcomp much better, but price is an issue for me. I plan to start mixing lump with the K more often.

VERY HOT BURN.

I got my Kettle up to 700 once with the Comp. Briq's. Seared one hell of a ribeye that day.

Like others I dont like the price. I did get a good long burn in my WSM with it, and it has almost no odor which is good, as I am adding wood for that... But the price makes it almost not an option....

This stuff ashes like no other charcoal I've ever used. I went back to my RO and OCC lump after using it a few times.

Back