• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New flavor for ribs

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I want to try something new. I am going to cook at least 6 slabs of ribs for the holiday. Just me and the family.

I want to impart onto the ribs an asian flavor.

I was thinking of doing something to the rub, any suggestions.

I know you said rub, but try making a Q sauce using oyster sauce or some other Asian sauce. I do not like five spice and anise mixed, it makes stuff taste like hotdogs, your mileage may very:biggrin:

I dont recall anyone doing anything with Ginger... a little will go a long ways

My Weber charcoal grilling book has this Asian Rub listed

2 TBS paprika
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp gound cayenne pepper

It also has this marinade

Teriyaki Marinade

1 Cup pineapple juice
1/2 Cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 TBS dark sesame oil
1 TBS grated fresh ginger
1 TBS minced garlic
1 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS fresh lemon juice

either one looks like it would be good on ribs.

marinate the ribs in O.J, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey, lemon juice, salt and white pepper for about 45 min. then smoke and baste with some marinade you put on the side

Check out the Sweet & Spicy Strawberry BBQ Sauce in the KCBS cook book. Using it today on ribs. I have great expectations.

I bought some Asian sesame teriyaki glaze from Smart and Final for wings. i used it on a slab of ribs and did standard on the other. The teriyaki disappeared. Will definitely do it again.

Joe mentioned Hoisin sauce and that could be added to the mix along with some Sriracha (sp) sauce.

I like Mae Ploy brand Thai Sweet Chili Sauce myself, use it alot on chicken and have added it as a glaze on ribs.

Brian

Professer Salt may know a good one also. He gave me a great one for chicken wings.

The recipe I gave to Brian is for Chinese roast pork, or chashu as it's called in Cantonese. Works equally well on chicken, IMO.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have my own recipe handy. Then again, my recipe calls for a few hard to find Chinese ingredients like fermented tofu and Sichuan peppercorns, so that might not do you any good unless you have a seriously good Chinese market nearby. EDIT: Noticed the OP is in Lakewood, CA, so you do have a market nearby. PM me if want that recipe.

I Googled some recipes on the internet, and this one looked ok. I'd skip the red dye, though. I'd also increase the marination time to at least overnight.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/Chinese_Roast_Pork.htm

I'd probably bump up that marinade recipe by 3 or 4 times to cook 6 slabs of ribs. I'd also probably set aside a little of the **unused** marinade to make into a finish glaze. Spoon a little of it into honey, to taste, and there's your sauce. Don't be afraid to boost the glaze with a healthy amount of black pepper and superfinely grated ginger in your finish glaze.

Last tip: remember to taste your marinade and err on the side of less sugar, so you don't burn the sugar during a 4+ hour cook for ribs.

Back