?Methods for cooking prime brisket?

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ive recently started cooking prime graded packer briskets from Costco. I have to say that they have been superior for me compared to choice/select.

The flat of the prime comes out like the point from a lesser brisket. The point however has so much intramuscular fat that when the flat is done the point still needs time to be what i call perfect. The point is very fatty, rendered and luscious, but so much its too rich for eatin more than a few pieces. Very good but almost too much of a good thing. Is this just the nature of high grade brisket point?

I have considered doing burnt ends from the point. If the flat is point worthy then that good for slices and the ends should solves the "too much" feeling from the point.

What im really wondering though is are different cooking techniques better for prime+ grade briskets? I have developed a way of cooking brisket taylored to what i like and with timing that fits my lifestyle. I came up with it cooking select and choice briskets. What i do is a salt & pepper brisket heavily trimmed and smoked in an offset for about 6 hrs @275 then wrapped in butcher paper and finished in a 225-250 oven.

For those that have cooked prime grade and higher briskets:

What grade do you prefer?

Do you do anything different compared to lower grades?

Does hot and fast work better?

Is prime+ just different, taste/texture?

What about my burnt ends idea?

A comp guy once said to me he pulled the flat and returned point whole til done. I thought flat took longer than point but he just said it was his experience.

Any discussion is appreciated. Im very happy with these briskets but looking to take things into the stratosphere

I'd probably like prime brisket but I'm a poor boy from a poor family. If I get to the point to afford a house that has a Florida room then I'd be tearing up the prime cuts!

I prefer the $2.46/lb grade. It seems to taste better when it doesnt r@pe my wallet.

I hear ya.

Im looking at $0.50-$1 price difference. Some places charge more for any brisket than the Costco prime.

For the amount i do Im willing to spend a little more

I'm getting prime brisket for 3.75 a pound and 4 dollars a pound for prime Angus brisket. I find the prime brisket point can be too rich also. I usually trim up to make burnt ends and get them back in the smoker with au jus from the cook and a little more rub, we call it beef candy.

Prime is all I cook lately. The points do have a ton more fat. Cooking hotter works for me but I bet separating and cooking longer would work too. Experimenting keeps it interesting.

I hear ya.

Im looking at $0.50-$1 price difference. Some places charge more for any brisket than the Costco prime.

For the amount i do Im willing to spend a little more

Unfortunately in my area price goes from $2.46/lb to almost $8.99/lb for choice. I havent even bothered to source "prime" in my area. Honestly, at that price, I would rather buy a slab of short ribs for $3.99/lb which will blow any brisket out of the water. Of course, this is my opinion.

It's usually the opposite with me for choice brisket. The flat takes longer to go probe tender than the point. Have yet to do a prime though.

Do you make ends out of the point Ron?

Sometimes, sometimes I just slice it. Depends on my mood :-D If I do make burnt ends I separate the point and cook it for a couple more hours, rest it, cube it, sauce it and put the cubes back into the smoker to set the sauce.

I'm with you on price. Costco prime .50-1.00 more than select here. The last 4 or 5 I've cooked have all been Costco prime. They get cooked the same way as any around my place. I'm a point eater myself but with these primes, I get a few slices of flat on my plate and alternate my bites. never made burnt ends.

Prime is all I have ever cooked so I can't really compare the taste to other grades. I've knocked em out from 250° to 300° with no real difference in texture. I've had times the point needs to go back on longer and times its rested attached with the flat and came out perfect. It can be finicky but ive found its usually always done in the 205° to 210° range. Once that fat is rendered nice those burnt ends melt in your mouth.

I only cook prime briskets.

They cook very fast. I'v done a 15lb prime brisket at 275F in 8 hours — and that was probably a little overcooked.

I now cook them at a lower temp (250F) to keep them in the smoker as long as possible. I also keep the seasoning very simple (salt/petter).

You can also trim the fat cap off a lot, you don't have to worry about it drying out as easily. Maybe leave it a little thicker on the flat end.

I also cook on an egg and find that <=250F has better results for not burning the bottom.

Overall it's not that different. The balance for me is a high enough heat to render the fat, but low enough to get a really good long smoke on it.

My little experience with Prime Brisket was a success. Much better in moistness and texture than usual choise.
Cooked faster than lower grade.

Following this thread as I have two 15+ pound Prime packers I got from HEB for the Super Bowl at $2.86 per pound.

Thinking of starting the smoker around 3 am Sunday, on by 4 am (at 275*), start checking for tenderness around 185* IT. Going to use the Pitmaster IQ-120 as I will need my sleep. I figure they will be done between 12 and 2 pm, rest and then slice before I leave for the game.

Cooking hot and fast (325-350*)does help the point fat render out nicely. Wrapping in foil helps too.. :redface::becky:

Following this thread as I have two 15+ pound Prime packers I got from HEB for the Super Bowl at $2.86 per pound.

Thinking of starting the smoker around 3 am Sunday, on by 4 am (at 275*), start checking for tenderness around 185* IT. Going to use the Pitmaster IQ-120 as I will need my sleep. I figure they will be done between 12 and 2 pm, rest and then slice before I leave for the game.

I would just save yourself a little trouble and put them on around midnight. They'll hold plenty warm before the game and the added rest actually helps IMO. I cooked 2 briskets at once a couple weeks ago and noticed the cold beef sucked up the heat for about an hour or so before temps slowly bounced back up.

Thanks JS. Unfortunately, have plans for Saturday night too and won't be home until about 3 am. Or... I could escape long enough to come home and fire up the pit / put them on, but not really a fan of not being at least home while they are cooking.

Back