Time for another try

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
The local Jewels had Octopus on sale again, bought four packages. I'm determined to get it right without it being the texture of a rubber band.

This time around, I'm sort of following this recipe. https://borniak.eu/smoked-octopus/

Got a pot of water going with salt, peppercorns, whole allspice & bay leaves. Let it boil for a while to suck some of that flavor out of the spices. No idea if it makes any difference.

h2fT5zbh.jpg

The Octopus was already cleaned, brains & beak already cut out.

Nc6mEi4h.jpg

1IJ0hLqh.jpg

Dip it into the boiling water about 3-5 times for a few seconds to "scare' it. Allegedly keeps the skin from peeling, which has happened on previous attempts. Ends of the tentacles curl up quite a bit.

NNXLApnh.jpg

dsf6qach.jpg

Fired up the FEC to it's lowest setting and in it goes for a few hours.

7ImmFl3h.jpg

Getting there... 108

HcacIDuh.jpg

Coat of Garlic infused oil...

qHJykJkh.jpg

iv1H7r5h.jpg

Didn't really have a dish in mind, just wanted to see if I could cook it right. Threw some garlic taters on the plate with some green onions.

soT4Ihfh.jpg

Was good, but the thin end of the tentacles were overdone and the head was still a rubber band. But the skin did not peel away, so maybe there is something about scaring it. I have seen that mentioned in a couple different recipes.

oVFeIJth.jpg

All in all, it was edible, but the recipe search goes on. Thanks for looking.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out amazingly as you'd hoped. The process sure is interesting and the plated/fork shot look tasty.

Have another of whatever is top/right in that plated shot. It'll buff out.

Thanks for sharing your experiment! Hope ya get it next time!
One of these days I'll figure it out. Had some smoked pulpo in Mexico City a few years back. That was incredible, still trying to figure out how to cook it right... I got the aguachiles right & the chilaquiles down...

I don't know anything about cooking octopus, other than in Japan they spend quite a bit of time massaging and working it before cooking it. Brave attempt!

That aounds good, sorry it was a little disappointing. Did you cook that at the low, low temps the recipe said?

Nope, little higher. The FEC only goes down to 140. Might try it on the Big Joe next time.

I don't have my membership to Americas Test Kitchen but, I know they have some recipes for octopus. I have found all of their recipes to be very good. Especially the alfredo

Ive never tried to cook it, but I had some amazing Octopus @ Oak Steakhouse in Nashville TN. Yours looks tasty!

damn dude, mad respect for even attempting it--multiple times! just wow. not my thing. not even close. don't think I could stomach it, but U D MAN. I like the post

Wow. That plate was a beauty. I don't think I've ever had octopus and I'm real sure I've never smoked any. Well played.

Have you tried over a hot grill?

I lived in Kauai, HI for a couple of decades and had several friends that liked to walk out on the reefs at low tide and get octopus. They always simply threw it on a grill at the park and cooked it over hot coals. Always tasted very good, never chewy. Maybe slow cooking is not the way.

Nice looking cook and plate Andy. I just did my first octopus last weekend. Most of the recipes I found called for boiling for anywhere from 45 mins to 90 mins. So I did it for an hour (using the multi dip method at the start), let it cool to room temp, brushed it with an olive oil/paprika mixture and on to a screaming hot grill to get some char.

Wasn't bad, but wasn't anything to crow about either. The Missus didn't care for it. The head (or whatever that pouch is?) was rubbery, the rest, not so much rubbery, but dense. Was a fun cook though :mrgreen:

One of the best meals I have ever eaten was in Lima, Peru when I was spending a lot of time working on a project. The name of the restaurant was Pescados Capitales (Deadly Sins). Pulpo ala Parilla (grilled Octopus). The texture was absolutely fantastic, and it had a great meaty flavor and an umami like mushrooms. Seriously makes my mouth water thinking about it.......valient effort on your part trying to make that at home! Awesome!

Interesting cook. Never cooked whole octopus. Wonder if a jacquard would help at keep it tender? Maybe also help at making it cook more evenly...?

Back