Follow up about Weber Charcoal Briqs

TC Smoke & Que

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Brethren, I just got off the phone with the main assistant to the Ceo of Weber-Stephens. I wanted to find out the status of their charcoal sales; and, unfortunately, the have stopped selling it because it was not "cost effective".
The lady I talked to, Rea Kulick, whom was as upset at this as I , and probably you are. She too, would also prefer to use this product, and feels it is the best on the market, and not just because she works there (for many years); but because she knows what a great product it is and has used it for many years.
She has the ear of the CEO and Chairman of the Board, and she hopes that we can help in making them change their minds about this decision.
So Brethren, I would like to propose an E-Mail / Letter writing campaign to convince them to bring the Charcoal back. Even if you dont use it, help the community have a choice of products.
Her E-Mail Address is: Rkulick@Weberstephen.com
The mailing address is:
Weber-Stephens Products
C/O Rea Kulick
1415 S. Roselle Rd.
Palatine Ill. 60067

When You write or Email, tout the quality of the product versus the other products on the market. The better burn, the longer lasting burn, the lack of ash build up, the lack of chemical smell. Also state if you use it in competition, and the amount you buy and go through. And what you are willing to purchase if it is avalible.

We have seen some of the best quality charcoals being stopped because of "Cost Effective" decisions by other companies. I dont want the cheaper quality products to be all we have to work with because we failed to stand up for the products we want to use.

** To the Mods, I hope this is OK to do, and you understand why I am asking the Brethren to help in this, If I have crossed a line, I am sorry.

I understand your sentiments. But if he didn't tell you why it wasn't cost effective then there is little that will change this.

1. Is it not cost effective because they are made by someone else and that someone doesn't want to make them anymore and wants to charge a ton?

2. Is it not cost effective because a base material used is getting harder to find and more expensive?

3. Is it not cost effective because other brands are now cheaper than ever and they are not getting the sales that they want and have a volume problem?

In essence the only way this problem can be solved is by doing an Elon Musk solution of solving the actual problem that everyone else states can't be solved. Without knowing what the real problem is then there is little hope. I would call them back and ask them to explain the real situation so we can put our heads together to solve the real problem.

Elon Musk didn't make electric cars popular simply because he started selling them. He made them popular by solving the battery problem.

I sent my email in below is a delivery email confirmation Weber has received my email.

weber.png

Well Rick, The lady I talked to Rea Kulick did not know how the decision was made. But, at the same time, in knowing the quality of a product she too does not want to see it end.
Other products which were equally as high in quality have already stopped producing, and as time goes on, we could be left with inferior products to cook with, because some one did a cost analysis, and not a market analysis.
There are charcoal products I refuse to use because they, in my opinion, and that of others I have cooked for, do not allow me to produce a more quality cook.
I know that if we dont at least try, and let the "What If's" become something we just accept, then what will we, as those who love the Art of The Que have left?
Personally, I strive for a higher quality in my cooks, and the products I am willing to use, may have a higher price tag. But the cost is worth it to me as I do take Pride in what I try to produce, for me, my family and friends
I learned long ago, in my previous career as a Shipwright, you are no better than your tools.

The reply I just got is below;

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the information. Our charcoal was discontinued because it was not cost effective. However, I will let management know your disappointment.

Thank you,

Rea Kulick

Well Rick, The lady I talked to Rea Kulick did not know how the decision was made. But, at the same time, in knowing the quality of a product she too does not want to see it end.
Other products which were equally as high in quality have already stopped producing, and as time goes on, we could be left with inferior products to cook with, because some one did a cost analysis, and not a market analysis.
There are charcoal products I refuse to use because they, in my opinion, and that of others I have cooked for, do not allow me to produce a more quality cook.
I know that if we dont at least try, and let the "What If's" become something we just accept, then what will we, as those who love the Art of The Que have left?
Personally, I strive for a higher quality in my cooks, and the products I am willing to use, may have a higher price tag. But the cost is worth it to me as I do take Pride in what I try to produce, for me, my family and friends
I learned long ago, in my previous career as a Shipwright, you are no better than your tools.

Right now I use the cheapest briquettes that I can, which is often RO, Walmart brand briquettes, or KBB. This is because I am brand new to this and I am making other mistakes that are effecting the cook much more like opening the lid too much, not adding enough wood chips on the fire soon enough, not using a dry brine, not letting the rub sit on the meat for 2 hours or more and a ton of other mistakes.

If and when the time comes where I want the purest fire, smoke, and burn I would simply switch to lump instead of briquettes. I understand your desires and I have many things that I use that I don't want to see go away. But in this case, I don't see how losing a quality briquette is actually losing anything at all when what i am reading says that good lump is better anyway.

Right now I use the cheapest briquettes that I can, which is often RO, Walmart brand briquettes, or KBB. This is because I am brand new to this and I am making other mistakes that are effecting the cook much more like opening the lid too much, not adding enough wood chips on the fire soon enough, not using a dry brine, not letting the rub sit on the meat for 2 hours or more and a ton of other mistakes.

If and when the time comes where I want the purest fire, smoke, and burn I would simply switch to lump instead of briquettes. I understand your desires and I have many things that I use that I don't want to see go away. But in this case, I don't see how losing a quality briquette is actually losing anything at all when what i am reading says that good lump is better anyway.
Rick, each of us uses what we feel is best for what we want to produce, many individuals, and many opinions. Plus we are all always learning how to up our cooks every time we fire up, that is part of the Art of The Que.
I am just trying to help those many Brethren who desire to use a higher quality product have it to use. Nothing more

It's likely due to being outsold by cheaper brands in the market. The average griller is not a member of a BBQ forum or Facebook page, likely doesn't look up reviews on charcoal, and just picks up the same brand they've always picked up (KBB or RO) or whatever is cheapest/on sale.

For us, this is a hobby we take interest it. For the vast majority of people out there, it's just a way to cook up some burgers and hot dogs on game day.

Using lump to smoke in a kettle is a PIA. You’ll learn these things [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's likely due to being outsold by cheaper brands in the market. The average griller is not a member of a BBQ forum or Facebook page, likely doesn't look up reviews on charcoal, and just picks up the same brand they've always picked up (KBB or RO) or whatever is cheapest/on sale.

For us, this is a hobby we take interest it. For the vast majority of people out there, it's just a way to cook up some burgers and hot dogs on game day.

Well if it does matter then it certainly doesn't help when Meatheads book says that pros state. "I use whatever briquettes are cheaper" and that briquettes are just a fuel source and not a flavor source. He even quotes some Harry Soo of "Slap Yo Daddy" BBQ team as saying "I buy whatever briquettes are on sale" on page 127 of his book. A book that is listed on many top ten BBQ book guides as a top 5 book to buy on BBQ, which is why I bought it.

So maybe that's why Weber has decided to stop selling them because the book authors and some competitive teams have stated that it doesn't matter. It's hard to go against that kind of anti-marketing when you are already the higher priced product.

I have never used lump in my Kettle, but my older books state that if I want the best then that's what I need to use in my kettle. Whether that is true or not of course I don't know.

So it looks like I, and you, may be stuck with KBB no matter what happens. Oh well, that's one of the brands I am learning to use anyway so, it is what it is.

Well I just sent off an e-mail imploring them to reconsider. It took me2 minutes, and just maybe it might help change their minds. I do know for a fact it can’t hurt.

Last edited:
Well I just sent off an e-mail imploring them to reconsider. It took my 2 minutes, and just maybe it might help change their minds. I do now for a fact it can’t hurt.

As a side question. Ace Hardware has decided to stock B&B brand oak charcoal briquettes. What are the opinions on this stuff? The reviews look good and it seems better? Whats the deal on this stuff?

Well if it does matter then it certainly doesn't help when Meatheads book says that pros state. "I use whatever briquettes are cheaper" and that briquettes are just a fuel source and not a flavor source. He even quotes some Harry Soo of "Slap Yo Daddy" BBQ team as saying "I buy whatever briquettes are on sale" on page 127 of his book. A book that is listed on many top ten BBQ book guides as a top 5 book to buy on BBQ, which is why I bought it.

So maybe that's why Weber has decided to stop selling them because the book authors and some competitive teams have stated that it doesn't matter. It's hard to go against that kind of anti-marketing when you are already the higher priced product.

I have never used lump in my Kettle, but my older books state that if I want the best then that's what I need to use in my kettle. Whether that is true or not of course I don't know.

So it looks like I, and you, may be stuck with KBB no matter what happens. Oh well, that's one of the brands I am learning to use anyway so, it is what it is.

In terms of flavor I don't notice if I use different brands, in terms of ash/temp/ease of lighting I notice a difference.

I take any source with a grain of salt as they're often offering opinions. I know amazingribs/meathead has been under fire here recently, but I do occasionally find information provided useful. Other times, not so much

Ms Kulick responded to my e-mail almost immediately. She stated that she is collecting and passing on all correspondence in this matter to her higher ups. Like I said before, it can’t hurt. If people here spent half as much time and effort on this as they did on the white bread topic we would be up to our eyes in Weber Briquettes by Wednesday.

As a side question. Ace Hardware has decided to stock B&B brand oak charcoal briquettes. What are the opinions on this stuff? The reviews look good and it seems better? Whats the deal on this stuff?

Love the B&B Oak - I consider it on par with Weber briqs. Not a lot of smoke at startup (and none after), holds heat for a long time and can be re-used if your grill is pretty airtight with the vents shut to snuff ‘em out after cooking. No funny smells or flavours, and not a lot of ash compared to some cheap stuff I’ve tried. With Weber out of the game, they are now my go-to.

Love the B&B Oak - I consider it on par with Weber briqs. Not a lot of smoke at startup (and none after), holds heat for a long time and can be re-used if your grill is pretty airtight with the vents shut to snuff ‘em out after cooking. No funny smells or flavours, and not a lot of ash compared to some cheap stuff I’ve tried. With Weber out of the game, they are now my go-to.

Where are you getting the B&B briquettes?

Where are you getting the B&B briquettes?

When Ace hardware was forced to stop carrying Weber Briquettes they started to carry B&B oak briquettes. So just go to your local Ace Hardware but check if it's in stock first with a phone call. It is only 14 dollars for a 17.6 lb bag at my local store. I almost went out to get one today just to see how different it really is from the cheap stuff I have only used so far.

Yep, Ace carries pretty much everything B&B makes, but in the past I’ve had to order online and pick up from store. Not a big deal, as that was a pretty efficient process, but I like the idea of them stocking it now.

Back