Another New Shirley 24x36

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm calling it Midnight Edition because of all the black features.
24x36 with...
Flat steel shelf instead of SS or expanded metal
Offroad package with 4 black 8" golf cart wheels and aggressive 18x8.5x8 offroad tires. This includes a front 3500LB axle with extended pull handle for easier steering
Black lug nuts
Black bottle opener
5" Tel-Tru glow in the dark thermometer with 2.5" stem (I wanted a black Tel-Tru but I couldn't find one that was 5")
Umbrella holder (I have one on another cooker and it's a nice option to have to protect you and the cooker from rain and sun)

Paul built this for me as I'm a returning customer. I know everybody knows but Paul Shirley is one of a kind. He's easy to work with and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It's gonna live in the smoker garage and roll around on concrete. Shipping was almost $600 from Alabama to Central Texas (675 miles). That sounds like a lot but I had quotes for $300 for 175 miles. Kevin is great to work with. We had some long conversations that had nothing to do with shipping. :heh: The cooker arrived at 11pm. Those guys are working hard! They left Alabama at 4am.

The Kindling Cracker came in real handy as I had to cut my splits down even more than normal. That's a must have for nearly any stick burner. I decided to split my splits lengthwise instead of cutting them in half.

Ran it under 200 for 2 hours. Then bumped up to 250 and added a fatty, chicken and chuck roast. It ran just as easy as my 24x55. Everything came out great. Oddly that was my first shirley chicken. Moist and just the right amount of smoke flavor.

I'm beyond excited to have a Shirley again. Temps were dead on. I replaced the standard therm with one a tiny bit bigger.
131cfa5351b27c74076586c4bc80bce0.jpg
c4eebaf4e6288c804188bb2abd50b6ba.jpg
f57129915f1dc2e27fedae87845e4957.jpg
12e0cbe9e89a9be3f0de6f3af0f167f3.jpg
298a8042bdf04ed7509480dbb86c067b.jpg
5d527cb8e439e1eb636ccadf6119f78d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You could have Bob over now to play.
It sure looks good, love the sand wheels

With tires like that, I expected it to have a motor on it! :laugh:

Nice rig!

Beautiful rig, just pure awesomeness. I had the honor of taking a glimpse at it while mine was being unloaded off the trailer. Indeed they were working very hard getting everyone's cookers to them on Saturday.

That is reaklly nice. I'm moving to a bit west of austin end of year and want a rig similar to what you have. Thought lsg originally but now !!!???

I've had my 24x36 for a month and I already have pit envy. I'm gonna have to do this wheel upgrade at some point. I'm sure I can find a local fabricator to do it for me.

If for any reason you are unhappy with that beauty, please feel free to drive it over to my place, I will gladly take it off your hands!

Congrats!

Awesome looking Shirley! Best looking 24x36 Shirley Patio I have seen!

Let the Midnight Special shine the light on YOU (and me one day)!

That is reaklly nice. I'm moving to a bit west of austin end of year and want a rig similar to what you have. Thought lsg originally but now !!!???
Yeah, that 20x42 is nice! It was close for me between these 2 builders.

I've had my 24x36 for a month and I already have pit envy. I'm gonna have to do this wheel upgrade at some point. I'm sure I can find a local fabricator to do it for me.
Thanks! If you need a good source for wheels and tires let me know. I looked for a few weeks and found a good family owned business with lower prices than anyone else.

Thanks for detailing the special edition upgrades.

Mr Shirley will no doubt be getting lots of inquiries about it!

Beautiful cooker!

Quick question

Would you be able to grill on the 24x36?

I've been reading all the threads about the 24x36 and missed this aspect if it was discussed.I've noticed that other smokers indicate a 'cowboy grill' for steaks, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for detailing the special edition upgrades.

Mr Shirley will no doubt be getting lots of inquiries about it!

Beautiful cooker!

Quick question

Would you be able to grill on the 24x36?

I've been reading all the threads about the 24x36 and missed this aspect if it was discussed.I've noticed that other smokers indicate a 'cowboy grill' for steaks, etc.

Thanks
You'd have to ask Paul to be sure. It seems like an easy option to weld in 2 tracks and make another grate. Now if you wanted a lid on the fb that might get expensive. I'm sure it would be after he starts doing the custom 36 builds.
Honestly I had an offset with that option and never used it once.

Back