What the Heck is with this White Bread Thing?

RickAllen

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm from Florida. Here in south Florida, no one gives a damn about traditions. Instead, all anyone cares about here is what works and what is best. That is the beauty of South Florida. We try to elevate everything here. We try new things here. We want our food to be as great as every sunset, as clear as the spring water, as tasty as a fresh caught lobster from the gulf.

In that regard I cannot for the life of me understand why on earth so many BBQ places think plain white bread is what goes with BBQ. What am I missing here? How can the rest of the country spend so much time on the meat and no time or thought at all on the rest of the meal?

White Bread? Really?

What am I missing here? Or is it just that no one has bothered to elevate anything else on the plate other than just the meat?

Texas Toast. This is what you are missing Texas Toast.

Or, perhaps just the Southern White Bread Thing (SWBT).

Don't forget the banana pudding.

Im with ya on plain white bread on pork or brisket sandwiches, but buttered and browned texas toast w/slaw is damn good.

Y’all do realize “Tejas toast” is just plain white bread only thicker slices right?

Yep, but its sold as texas toast in my part of the us. Either way, ya have to butter and sear it on a griddle or a hot pan. Plain white thick or thin bread sucks.

If yer gonna eat bread, cheap white bread with bbq is where it’s at, and that’s just a fact!

What bread would go better?

Well that's the question isn't it? I seriously doubt that plain white bread is what is best for BBQ. What would be better?

First, is toasted bread. That's first.

Second would be a bread that isn't sweet so that it doesn't add too much sweetness to the already sweet usually BBQ.

Third is that it would be best with a flavor that matches a smoked, meaty flavor. Would a toasted marbled rye bread go better with BBQ?

The point is that plain white bread is just lazy. I don't give a damn if it's tradition. I want to use what is actually the best flavor, texture, etc bread for the subject of BBQ.

My understanding was always that it's there to soak up any excess grease/fat/sauce that may otherwise mess up the bottom layer of the bbq... I always eat it, because the greasy fatty sauce soaked bread is delicious, but I don't think you're supposed to.

See, this is a major issue here. Now we have two people who think your not even supposed to eat it. So what the heck is going on here?

What is the reason that they give you plain white bread with your BBQ?

In texas the white bread goes back to bbq being sold in markets. People grabbed stuff easily off the shelf to eat with the meat.

Some brisket on a slice of cheap white bread with pickles and onions or a sausage wrap is good stuff.

I like for the bread to stay out of the way & let the Q take center stage. I don’t need any added texture or flavor for a brisket or pulled pork sandwich, it’s just a vehicle giving a ride to the meat on its way to my mouth, along with any sauce/rub/coleslaw that comes with it.

See, this is a major issue here. Now we have two people who think your not even supposed to eat it. So what the heck is going on here?

What is the reason that they give you plain white bread with your BBQ?

Maybe in hope that it fills you up after spending $20 on a plate and still hungry.

Historically, white bread was for the wealthier people, and bbq was for poorer people, right? There might be some correlation there that has been lost to time.

My understanding was always that it's there to soak up any excess grease/fat/sauce that may otherwise mess up the bottom layer of the bbq... I always eat it, because the greasy fatty sauce soaked bread is delicious, but I don't think you're supposed to.

My understanding is that you were supposed to eat it. The bread was put under the meat to catch the drippings and make the little bit of meat you had go further. BBQ Was what poor people ate back then.

Now If you are smoking a $500 A5 wagyu brisket on your $5000 smoker nothing short of a $120 loaf of gold leaf bread and a bottle of dom perignon will do.

I actually like cornbread with my BBQ.

Back