I stole a new smoker

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, I decided I was bored with my current cooker setup. I happened to be in Walmart one day about 3 months ago and saw the Oklahoma Joes Bronco. Somewhat similar to my PBC I started looking it over. I liked what I saw and some of the features but would never have paid full price ($300) mainly because I already owned a PBC. Well flash forward to two days ago. I happened to look up the cooker on Walmart’s website and saw they had it on sale for $124! It’s a long story but I ended up at Academy asking them to price match Walmart and they did, plus added an additional 5% price cut as store policy on price matches. I was out the door having only spent $129 for a $300 cooker! I figured worse case I could at least get my money back if I didn’t like it. All I’ve been able to do is season it but so far I’m happy with the temp control and ability to hold and easily raise or lower temps. It appears to be a solid cooker. I plan to smoke chicken as my first cook this weekend. I’ll try and post pics and thoughts.

To all my PBC brethren: As most of you know, I created the PBC appreciation thread. I love that cooker and always will for it’s simple means of cooking just about anything and the remarkable food I’ve made using it. Not to mention it was my first “smoker” after learning on a Weber Kettle. I know the OK joe is a similar cooker to the PBC but as I stated I became bored and wanted to learn something new. Please don’t disown me! :becky:

Here’s a couple pics if the new cooker. The third picture shows this bronco is an updated version that corrects an earlier manufacturing issue that created a gap in the intake pipe. No gaps in this one!

Edit: It’s been awhile since I posted pics. How can I get these rotated?? :doh:

Attachments

• 608A1C4C-E13B-48B7-A5C8-49A6328A82DD.jpg
    608A1C4C-E13B-48B7-A5C8-49A6328A82DD.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 667
  • FA09C6B3-37EE-488C-889E-A86D92512AE2.jpg
    FA09C6B3-37EE-488C-889E-A86D92512AE2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 665
  • 37F17D3D-AF01-4032-89A3-647F4987D904.jpg
    37F17D3D-AF01-4032-89A3-647F4987D904.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 665
Welcome back brother. You can cook on a tire rim as long as you come back and post more!

Thanks Sportster! I’ve been through a lot over the past few years but things are much better now. I recently bought a new house and trying to get my cookers and cooking area sorted out. Hopefully I’ll be posting much more!

Damn - I need a Deal like that - be my outer towner smoker.......... all the Walmart Deals/ Briskseek Deals Never Happen Here - except the Charbroil Kommander at Aldis a cpl years ago.......

Damn - I need a Deal like that - be my outer towner smoker.......... all the Walmart Deals/ Briskseek Deals Never Happen Here - except the Charbroil Kommander at Aldis a cpl years ago.......

I’ve got my eye on the 28” Blackstone Pro griddle now! :becky:

I should have never clicked on this dadgum thread. I have no need for another drum smoker because I have a Hunsaker. I checked Brickseek anyways and it shows two stores nearby with these for $129. Walmart website confirms it. Even if they are both wrong Academy definitely has them and I could do the price match.

Don't know if I would feel worse for buying one for no reason or passing on a good deal. My friend has a birthday coming up and he has talked about wanting to get into smoking. Decisions....

I should have never clicked on this dadgum thread. I have no need for another drum smoker because I have a Hunsaker. I checked Brickseek anyways and it shows two stores nearby with these for $129. Walmart website confirms it. Even if they are both wrong Academy definitely has them and I could do the price match.

Don't know if I would feel worse for buying one for no reason or passing on a good deal. My friend has a birthday coming up and he has talked about wanting to get into smoking. Decisions....
I have bought clearance cookers before and sell them to friends for what I paid for them. They seem happy with the deal. Sometimes I get 2 and keep 1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome back Andrew. Is a new appreciation thread in the offing?

Attachments

• 608A1C4C-E13B-48B7-A5C8-49A6328A82DD~2.jpg
    608A1C4C-E13B-48B7-A5C8-49A6328A82DD~2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 597
  • FA09C6B3-37EE-488C-889E-A86D92512AE2~2.jpg
    FA09C6B3-37EE-488C-889E-A86D92512AE2~2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 594
Welcome back Andrew. Is a new appreciation thread in the offing?

Thanks Bob!

Nah, as you know, I started the PBC thread to allow the few of us who owned a PBC at the time a friendly place to share techniques, mods, setups, etc. I also wanted to help draw attention to the cooker as I liked the story of Noah Glanville and his service to our country and believed in the product. Oklahoma Joes already has a well known reputation. I’ll just stick to posting about whatever I end up cooking on it. ��

Oh and thanks for rotating the pics!!

welcome back brother! I had my eye on one of those but ended up with PBC, happy so far

Whaaaaaaaaaat?? You strayed from the PBC? Shame on you. :laugh: Just messing with you bro.

Good to see you back Andrew. Hopefully you stick around a little longer this time. Hope all is well brother.

PBC is def my favorite barrel cooker of all time. Herd got too big so gave one away sold the other but I still have a PB in the mix. The Jr. Love the little thing. I'll never be without one.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?? You strayed from the PBC? Shame on you. :laugh: Just messing with you bro.

Good to see you back Andrew. Hopefully you stick around a little longer this time. Hope all is well brother.

PBC is def my favorite barrel cooker of all time. Herd got too big so gave one away sold the other but I still have a PB in the mix. The Jr. Love the little thing. I'll never be without one.

Thanks Sako! Yeah that PBJ looks pretty cool! I may end up with one of those one day too. Like I mentioned above though, I’m trying to snag a Blackstone when they start going on sale. I check Walmart’s website every day to know when I need to run up there real quick. Lol!

I’ve looked and looked at these. They were plentiful in the $185 range within last year or so. I’m really enjoying all the space on my patio with my current line up. Old Smokey is on probation for aggravated assault. There is something about a drum smoker that has a coolness factor matched by the great tasting food they produce. And those wheels. Damn

Got one last November for $99 when Wal-Mart was clearing out floor space for Christmas stuff. You're gonna love it. So far I've smoked a couple briskets, numerous ribs, a couple turkeys, dozens of wings and a few chickens on it. It's a great cooker for the price and the ability to maintain a steady temp is very good.

Like you I started on a Weber Kettle and this is so much easier. If I used it for nothing but ribs I'd be more than happy with it. Only regret is I didn't get two of them.

Back