your favorite Rub recipe

trickyric

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am in love with Bad Byron's butt rub, but I feel the need to make my own (it just doesn't seem right to buy for bbq, like buying a cake instead of making it).
I was wondering what some of your favorite recipes are.
P.S.
I am diabetic so I personally prefer not to use sugar.
thanks,
trickyric

I've been making my own for a long time. I thought it was good. Then I tried Spicewine's Hen-N-Hog Dust last Sunday. I have much to learn. My hat is tipped to the master. That stuff is awesome.

Hands down my favorite rub is sea salt and cracked black pepper. It's my basic rub. I'm dead serious here....This combination is common for a reason, people like it. And if you think you have seen it all ..... have you seen Spepper?

spepperbig4.jpg

DSC01085a.jpg

You guessed it. Top quality salt and pepper in the same bottle. Really handy when doing food prep and when cooking. I carry it in my lunch box and with my camping gear.

Okay, back to the basic rub. I leave myself open for plenty of options for adders. Different kinds of pepper is my first option. I like at least 3. Black, white and a red variety. The next adders would be garlic (granulated or powder) followed by onion powder. After that, I'm partial to paprika or chile powder. Then there's cumin, celery seed and ginger. Sugar can fall in there as well. Mustard powder, Wooster powder and ground coriander have their places too.

I guess I never answered your question. My favorite no sugar rub is this one. I leave it coarse, but you can grind it as fine as you like.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder. A little coffee won't hurt the rub, but leftover rub is not that good for the coffee.

I use commercial rub on most of my bbq anymore because I have never been able to produce anything better. When I first got started, I used Chris Lilly's rub on pork and chicken with good results. I still like the rub and use it some times when I am motivated. I posted a link to a thread with the recipe. Dr. BBQ's Big Time rub is very good as well.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21767

Simple.

4 parts Kosher salt
2 parts black pepper
2 parts granulated garlic
1 part cayenne

Works on almost everything.

Mista's holding out!:mrgreen:

Simple.

4 parts Kosher salt
2 parts black pepper
2 parts granulated garlic
1 part cayenne

Works on almost everything.
Remember?
icon1.gif
Look what came in the mail!!
1 pound of one of my favorite rub additives. Shhh...don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

worseypowder1.jpg

worseypowder.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My favorite is my NorthWoods Pepper Blend. An array of peppers, salt and raw sugar. Makes the BEST BARK I ever had.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
north.JPG

Mista's holding out!:mrgreen:

Remember?
icon1.gif
Look what came in the mail!!
1 pound of one of my favorite rub additives. Shhh...don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

worseypowder1.jpg

worseypowder.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah I use that in the rub with sugar. And quit remembering what I said!

Big Mista,
that is what I was talkig about, very simple and easy to do!
thanks,
Ric

I have also heard of people prepping with Worcestershire suace and then applying the rub.

Big Mista,
that is what I was talkig about, very simple and easy to do!
thanks,
Ric

I have also heard of people prepping with Worcestershire suace and then applying the rub.

I do that on beef and pork when I'm using the simple rub.

Back