Indirect open flame grilling?

JonM106

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was tinkering with the Weber kettle last night, and I think I may have stumbled onto something awesome.

I set the grill up for indirect heat, with coals off to the sides and an indirect zone in the middle. I had an oven thermometer in the indirect zone and it stayed around 350 or so. My goal was to see if I could somehow get the indirect zone up to around 500 because I like using that temps for roasting whole chickens.

When the temps were stuck at 350, I tossed some small pieces of dry oak onto the coals and let them flame up and, whaddya know, the temp in the indirect zone jumped up to 500. The flames themselves weren't anywhere near the indirect zone, so I think that might work for high-heat chicken, as long as I occasionally add more wood.

Then I figured "A little bit of oak is hot, I bet MORE oak will be even hotter!" and tossed a couple more pieces of oak on. Temps pegged the oven thermometer at more than 600, so it was probably 700 or more. That got me thinking - the temps in the indirect zone are pretty much steakhouse oven temps. Couldn't I do steaks in that indirect zone? I think I'll have to try.

Anyway, thought I'd share and see if anyone else has had any experience doing something like this. Cheers!

I've been wanting to try rotisserie chicken like that.

I bet that setup would mimic old school open pits, get a mop and feed the fire with preheated wood.

I run my monster, the block pit cooker like that. Food on one side, wood fire on the other. I do cover the top with a lid to help hold in the heat

Before I got my first Egg that is how I cooked our Thanksgiving turkey for years, plus dozens of chickens, pork loins, beef roasts, meat loafs, etc. It works great!

I'm doing two small (3 lb) briskets on my kettle right now. I threw them on when the kettle was sitting at 220, and went out to lunch with the family. Came home an hour later and my Maverick was beeping like a mutha. It was sitting around 450, and the meat about 165-170. I pulled it, wrapped it in double foil and left them both in pans in the oven, not turned on.

I've now waited about 2 hours, and a few more unlit briqs on, and just placed them back onto the kettle, indirect. When I first started, I was using Kingsford hickory briqs, with two large pieces of lump (like two small logs), plus a couple chunks of apple. I should have known better, versus just using straight KBB, but I was using up the partial bags of fuel. I'm now running it indirect, open and the indirect portion of the kettle is in the high 300s. The meat is staying foiled, behind and above water pans, and I have two layers of foil shielding them from the heat. Call it, in the moment mods. The meat temp is slowing rising (staring at my Mav sitting at 156) and it is very slowly rising. Should be ready to completely pull in about 30 mins, and let it sit for another hour before slicing.

This is my first attempt at brisket and I would have used my UDS if I had one large brisket that I thought would have required more time. But your method is what I'm using right now, more out of necessity and my own screw up, but it seems to work. I like the idea of doing a steak on it, super hot, but it would use up a lot of fuel for just a steak, unless you're making it for the family/party.

Back