Ribs 2 ways (Spares and Shorties) with Pron

GT-Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I cooked for my nephew's 12th birthday party today. The kid requested this. He has good taste!

This is the offset pit I built about 10 years ago. Still going strong.
IMG-20140419-00867.jpg

This is my first attempt at beef short ribs. Thanks to the Brethren for all the help in figuring out how to cook these. I'm using a rub of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
IMG-20140419-00869.jpg

I had some room left on the pit so I made 6 slabs of spares as well.
IMG-20140419-00875.jpg

The pit was full!
IMG-20140419-00876.jpg

I cooked the whole mess at about 250F-275F till a probe went straight through the short ribs with almost no resistance. They went about 6 hours. They were very tender and delicious!
IMG-20140419-00879.jpg

I served the shorts with no sauce, but provided some to put on as desired. I used a mix of about 3/4 Blues Hog to 1/4 A1. It actually was pretty good!
IMG-20140419-00886.jpg

Thanks again for all the help! It turned out great!

Everything looks great. That's the way to get him hooked at an early age.

All these shortie cooks are killing me, still haven't found any and I've been looking.. Your's look farkin delicious!

Those are some great looking ribs! Like your smoker too. :cool:

I came across some of those beef short ribs once at the grocery store. I made them for a buddy of mine at a car dealership, when I had to get my second car from him. I had promised him beef ribs the next time I saw him and that's what they had at the store. I will say, those were the best beef ribs I've EVER had. They had a ton of meat on them, my neighbors were going freaking nuts when I told them they were for someone else, and thus, no passing out samples and I made them the same way, S/P, garlic/onion powder, but I sauced them for the last 15 minutes and let them get sticky icky good...

Back