• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Pitmasters 2014

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It's on. Three teams from my neck of the woods.

Having Langs myself, I was sure rooting for the guys from Atlanta. However, in both looking at his presentation of the pork and then bones and fat in his turn-in, it was obvious he hasn't competed much. Looks like he has great flavors down though. Would be good to see him come back in a few years.

The rest of it was good. I liked them showing the different injections and the results in pork. People, competitors and backyarders alike, can glean quite a bit from that.

I loved how they kept talking about "Georgia BBQ" and their idea of what it meant. For the most part, they pretty much described NC and to some degree SC BBQ. Georgia is more a hodge-podge, a mix if you will. Not overly sugary, not overly spicy, and not overly vinegar...

SALMON? Georgia BBQ, and SALMON? REALLY? How did Myron keep a straight face? Salmon is about as native to Georgia BBQ as filets of Koala are to Alberta, Canada... Seriously, they kept talking about "Georgia Salmon", it was all I could do not to laugh my far-too-fat a** off!!! Seriously guys, this show is stupid.

Those whole fresh hams, absolutely part of BBQ. SALMON (in these areas anyway), NOT.

Venison, doves, bass, catfish, trout, crappie or even bream, but salmon? I'm serious on this; why not just do a "Blackened Redfish" in Georgia? At least it's a few thousand miles closer... <rhetorical; see Chef Paul for blackened redfish>

Last edited:
I scratched my head at the salmon as well. I like the tournement format, I just dont like when they go "Georgia style" or whatever.

It was so predictable that they were going to bash the one team when every other sentence had to do with him not using vinegar.

It was so predictable that they were going to bash the one team when every other sentence had to do with him not using vinegar.

Myron said it plain pretty early. No doubt, he likes vinegar. Around the Atlanta area, most people who live and reside here for some time aren't from here originally. They bring with them their taste preferences. Some are from NC, SC, and that TN region that LOVES vinegar. Others, not so much. That's why to me, GA BBQ is more of a hodge-podge, middle-of-the-way type... Should it have to have (ie. require) vinegar? No, not in my opinion. However, too sweet is just that, too sweet. I didnt see sweet in BBQ until recently (not much I mean). In the old daze it was more molasses based...

Salmon? <-- shakes his head. I mean, I'm not from the west coast, but if they're doing one of these in Oregon or Washington for example, I completely get this, but in Georgia? They ain't from here!!!! Notice how the guys even said "I've never filet'd a salmon; they always come this way" and "I know how to filet a bass, but not a salmon"... DUH. Wrong region; much less state. How did Myron not choke to death laughing?

Yea I was also surprised with the salmon. After watching it, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime. :-D

I've pretty much given up on the show. I am waiting for them to start having "turn in girls".

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

My wonderful wife really is passionate on what is and is not barbeque. I can't repeat what she thinks about salmon being called barbeque. You can have smoked salmon but you can't have barbequed salmon.

I'm wondering if the show requires the pitmasters to use the pits provided to them (option of stick burner or gravity fed smoker)

All 3 patio langs were the same exact ones. And the gravity fed smokers were the same exact Stumps smokers. I'm not sure if this is coincedence since they are in Georgia or if this is a show thing.

Also I remember Rollin Grill last season had a much bigger trailer stick burner. I can't remember what Rescue BBQ cooked on last year.

I loved how they kept talking about "Georgia BBQ" and their idea of what it meant. For the most part, they pretty much described NC and to some degree SC BBQ. Georgia is more a hodge-podge, a mix if you will. Not overly sugary, not overly spicy, and not overly vinegar...

Yeah I was curious as to what they were talking about too. Most sauce in/around Atlanta is mostly balanced, leaning towards the sweeter side rather than the vinegary side if anything. At least at the places I frequent up I-75.

We watch for nostalgia sake as it was what got us into cooking competitions in the first place. After competing the last eight months it isn't the same. We will probably keep watching just because we know some of the folks that will be on it and see them out at comps.

Did they mention specifically smoked or BBQ'd salmon?

It dawned on me after the show that one of them should have tried frying some strips of salmon, treating it like catfish with a cornmeal based fish fry blend. Fried salmon is excellent and if they would have used some from lower on the side it would have been fattier and stayed nice and moist. And actually they could have put some flavor smoke on it, then fried it.

They also had two repeat teams...., surely there are some new faces out there? I did enjoy seeing Moe join the show, I met him several years ago at a comp I was judging and he is very nice guy.

I was surprised to see 2 repeat teams as well, especially since they seemed to be making a concerted effort to reach out to as many people as they could to submit tapes.

In rolling grill's defense, I know he's competed a few times (at one comp we were at) and done fairly well.

Did they mention specifically smoked or BBQ'd salmon?

It dawned on me after the show that one of them should have tried frying some strips of salmon, treating it like catfish with a cornmeal based fish fry blend. Fried salmon is excellent and if they would have used some from lower on the side it would have been fattier and stayed nice and moist. And actually they could have put some flavor smoke on it, then fried it.

They also had two repeat teams...., surely there are some new faces out there? I did enjoy seeing Moe join the show, I met him several years ago at a comp I was judging and he is very nice guy.

The probably got repeat teams since it appears they are going with the state style bbq competition like they did in season 3 vs just the generic bbq genre. That really limits who can come to cook if they aren't from that geographic area (georgia, carolina, tennessee , kansas city, texas)

I'm wondering if the show requires the pitmasters to use the pits provided to them (option of stick burner or gravity fed smoker)

All 3 patio langs were the same exact ones. And the gravity fed smokers were the same exact Stumps smokers. I'm not sure if this is coincedence since they are in Georgia or if this is a show thing.

Also I remember Rollin Grill last season had a much bigger trailer stick burner. I can't remember what Rescue BBQ cooked on last year.

I noticed that as well. The Langs looked brand new. And who forgets to check the dampers when the temps are not coming up? :mad2:

Ok. Rant over.

It's on. Three teams from my neck of the woods.

Having Langs myself, I was sure rooting for the guys from Atlanta. However, in both looking at his presentation of the pork and then bones and fat in his turn-in, it was obvious he hasn't competed much. Looks like he has great flavors down though. Would be good to see him come back in a few years.

The rest of it was good. I liked them showing the different injections and the results in pork. People, competitors and backyarders alike, can glean quite a bit from that.

SALMON? Georgia BBQ, and SALMON? REALLY? How did Myron keep a straight face? Salmon is about as native to Georgia BBQ as filets of Koala are to Alberta, Canada... Seriously, they kept talking about "Georgia Salmon", it was all I could do not to laugh my far-too-fat a** off!!! Seriously guys, this show is stupid.

Those whole fresh hams, absolutely part of BBQ. SALMON (in these areas anyway), NOT.

Venison, doves, bass, catfish, trout, crappie or even bream, but salmon? I'm serious on this; why not just do a "Blackened Redfish" in Georgia? At least it's a few thousand miles closer... <rhetorical; see Chef Paul for blackened redfish>
Yeah, when I think about salmon I usually think of the pacific northwest or Alaska maybe but not Georgia! Who knew!
:shock:

I have visited my oldest son in Athens a couple of times in the last two years. He has tried to find "Authentic" Georgia BBQ for me to eat while there. I have to agree with LakeDogs, if there is an authentic Georgia BBQ style I've not run into anything that I could put my finger on eating at the several different places so far, Hodge Podge is an understatement.

I have mixed views on the show. I will still watch it - DVR and fast forward rock!

1. They made it clear they want Georgia style BBQ ... HOWEVER they didn't make it clear as to what region - to quote Phenomenon "Come on Bob, lets be specific" Their statements about "a little more flavor and you could be up here" was that because they didn't get the vinegar they wanted or it was actually lacking flavor? As a judge you need to be open to the styles of BBQ and not just your personal taste buds.

2. I think they judges spent more time ripping on each other than actually giving input that the user could learn from.

3. They need to come up with better challenges. Wings and Fish - while something to smoke is not what I consider a challenge. Let's get some meat on there that makes them think and work.

4. I would also like to see another episode where the judges have to cook what the contestants did and then be judged by the past Pitmaster Grand Champions.

5. I don't want to see the same teams over and over again.

I didn't like the idea of BBQ Salmon, so I didn't watch it all.
Next time all meat then I'll watch. Fish doesn't DO it for me.
DanB

I didn't like the idea of BBQ Salmon, so I didn't watch it all.
Next time all meat then I'll watch. Fish doesn't DO it for me.
DanB
I agree, fish would be fine if "Pitmasters" was a grilling show but like you, I don't count it as a BBQ meat!

I enjoyed the show, but it was kinda weird seeing them cook salmon. I guess they wanted to throw a twist in. I'm pretty sure the Stumps smokers that rescue smokers were using are there own. I have personally met Robby Royal and he is a super nice guy.

Back