Wednesday Wood Quiz

hickory
cherry
pecan

I guess you missed this one. Did you get the wood from fruitawoodchunks? I should have gotten hickory quicker than I did. I bought some hickory and post oak from them last fall. I think I will try the peach this spring.

For some reason I was thinking pecan and hickory looked alot alike. Looks like I was wrong

Yea the splintery should have given # 1 away but the color looked too light

is the missing one alder?

Hickory is the missing one

I guess you missed this one. Did you get the wood from fruitawoodchunks? I should have gotten hickory quicker than I did. I bought some hickory and post oak from them last fall. I think I will try the peach this spring.

Yes, Fruita Wood & BBQ. They have a good assortment and I like the fact I can get sauces and such (I got Blues Hog and Tennessee Red).

For some reason I was thinking pecan and hickory looked alot alike. Looks like I was wrong

They sure can have similar color in the heartwood (lighter) and the sapwood (darker). Isn't pecan hickory's little brother?

Yea pecan is hickorys little brother. Very similar in flavor but pecan is milder

Those are some of my regulars from Fruita. You forgot to get peach though. It is the best IMO. Hopefully he doesn't run out this year.

I'm trying a new wood dealer this year and they offer combination boxes to get a feel of up to 3 of their woods. Little perks are the shipping price is built-in (no surprises at check-out), they will remove the bark if requested, they furnish mesh bags for storing, and they add 5# more when order is shipped to a commercial address.

So, my buddy and I are splitting a 30# box for testing and it arrived yesterday. Now for the fun part.... what 3 woods do you think I picked? Can you figure it out from this photo??

Jj0vn24.jpg

1) Hickory
2)Cherry
3) Pecan

Back