Check out what my mom just dropped off.

Unless you camera is off, that thing looks perfect.

I deliver something like that to the table and someone is disappointed, they can eat sides.

Exactly! looks pretty good to me!

On loins like this, you don't go by time per pound as it's the thickness of the loin that determines the cook time. Cutting the loin in half won't cut the cooking time by any noticeable amount. The exception to this is if you have a fairly small loin to start with and cutting it in half makes the length shorter than the thickness.

Picture the whole Ribeye as it cooks. Say that it is 16 inches in length, 8 inches in depth and 5 inches tall. From each end, the heat would have to travel 8 inches to reach the center. Looking at the depth, it has to travel 4 inches. But from the top and bottom, the heat only has to travel 2.5 inches.

(FTR, the heat doesn't really travel, but the phrasing makes it easier to get the picture).

Long story short, the heat from the top and bottom will reach the center and have the loin up to temp before the heat coming from either end or the front and the back gets there.

If the loin were cut in half, it would be 8 inches long, still 8 inches in depth and still only 5 inches thick. Same thing applies. Heat would still have to travel 4 inches in from the ends, 4 inches from the front or back but only 2.5 inches from the top and bottom.

here's a quick mind experiment. Say that you have a nice 2 1/2 inch thick 2lb sirloin:

top-sirloin-steak-raw.jpg

Would it cook noticeably faster if you removed ran a knife down the seam and removed the cap piece on the right end ? That would take away roughly 25% of the steak, but the cook time would remain the same. Why ? Because the thickness of the steak is what determines how long it will take to cook, not it's length or overall weight.

That was a darn good explanation.
Thx.

Back