• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The *OFFICIAL* Crock Pot Thread

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I looked around for one and couldn't find it, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

Like many of you, I cook my ribs in a Crock Pot.:thumb:

My unit looks like this one.

photo%25288%2529.JPG

Now, recently I saw someone using a modified crock pot like this...

IMG_7794.JPG

...and that got me to thinking...

I wonder what other sort of mods people make to THEIR Crock Pots? And what sort of tips and advice is there for using Crock Pots, and cooking ribs or other BBQ in Crock Pots.

Looking forward to the vast knowledge of the BBQ Brethren as I master my Crock Pot!:whoo:

Wow! I had no idea they made them that big!:shock:

Also, what is your liquid of choice for simmering them in?

I'm partial to Dr. Pepper, but I imagine there are many other options...

756a3f11231ea90cdd4b9bde32f9ff21.jpg

I tried that, and the result was WAY too bitter.:puke:

Of course, nothing will ever beat a good mix of SBR + PBR!:nod:

Oh man, my people! Crock pot brisket is my go to for entertaining. Lately I've been going H-n-F and the results have been amazing, and no more waiting on the crock pot all day, watching that little orange light. I know it goes against all we've read, but go ahead and turn that thing up to Med-Lo, or even straight Med if you are feeling frisky. I like wrapping in butcher paper after about 4 hours and letting it finish out in the paper. It can be tough to fish out all the paper sometimes, but that's the price of good BBQ!

Damn, those ribs look great. You nailed it! :puke:
Hey, if you don't think they look good enough, put up some crock pot tips to help a brother improve already.:mad:

I use mine for a whisky still It is also a useful foot bath to sooth my bunions.
The whisky still is tempting...but I'm pretty much done making my own alcohol at this point.

And no way I would want to eat out of my crock pot after simmering my feet in it.:puke:
Oh man, my people! Crock pot brisket is my go to for entertaining. Lately I've been going H-n-F and the results have been amazing, and no more waiting on the crock pot all day, watching that little orange light. I know it goes against all we've read, but go ahead and turn that thing up to Med-Lo, or even straight Med if you are feeling frisky. I like wrapping in butcher paper after about 4 hours and letting it finish out in the paper. It can be tough to fish out all the paper sometimes, but that's the price of good BBQ!
Hmmm...

Mine just has simmer, low and high. And I bought one of the better units...or so I thought.:mmph:

Does the paper really add all that much? I would think it would alter the taste.

Penalty Forum, here we come!
Why in the world would someone put really good advice on making BBQ in a Crock Pot in an off-topic forum that subscribers can't even see?:crazy:

I'm beginning to think some of you farkers have some sort of bias against Crock Pot cookers or something.

What, are Crock Pots not as good as your fancy-schmancy cooker or something?:mad:

Hey, if you don't think they look good enough, put up some crock pot tips to help a brother improve already.:mad:

The whisky still is tempting...but I'm pretty much done making my own alcohol at this point.

And no way I would want to eat out of my crock pot after simmering my feet in it.:puke:

Hmmm...

Mine just has simmer, low and high. And I bought one of the better units...or so I thought.:mmph:

Does the paper really add all that much? I would think it would alter the taste.

Its a mod. Most crock pots have low and high. Fancy ones have a warm setting. I put a sharpie mark between low and high and then hold it in place with a binder clip and a clothespin. I think im going to go all out and install a rheostat in place of the 3 position switch. That way I can dial it in without having to upset my wife by using a unibit on it

Its a mod. Most crock pots have low and high. Fancy ones have a warm setting. I put a sharpie mark between low and high and then hold it in place with a binder clip and a clothespin. I think im going to go all out and install a rheostat in place of the 3 position switch. That way I can dial it in without having to upset my wife by using a unibit on it.
OK, I'm with you. I remember having a Crock Pot with a dial on the front to switch between settings. I haven't had one like that for a while though.

The old unit I most recently replaced (handle broke a year or so back) was the first one I owned without one of those dials. Instead there is a button you press, and it digitally changes the setting between Simmer, Low and High.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to manipulate the heat on one of those? My new crock pot, and the other one I found in the basement are BOTH this way.

I have both a large crock pot and a stubby crock pot...
am looking forward to the suggestions for making my crocking
experience better...
Thanks for reminding me. I have two other crock pots that are really small. I've only ever used them for cheese dip. There is no heat setting, you just plug them in and they only run at a preset setting as long as they are plugged in.

Best velveeta melter ever!!!

Back