Applying sauce for turn ins... Hot or cold?

Scuffletown Smokers

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have taken two classes (one online, one by DVD) and have gotten different approaches to applying sauce. One says it needs to be very hot and one says it needs to be splied cold to bring out the sweetness... What's your take on this and what do you do? Kcbs related. Thanks!

As a judge I prefer sauce that has been caramelized or "set" on the meat, not slopped on after the cook. Even if it's only for the last 15 minutes, it needs to be warm. When I get a "cold" sample from one box and all the others have been warm, that's a problem.

If you heat it up to apply on the meat, be careful to not heat too much/too long because it change the flavor of the sauce.

Thanks for the reply. I have always warmed my sauce but when I watched the Kosmo DVDs, he specifically says that he puts it on cold so I wanted everyone's take. I should also note that this was for pork specifically.

For any meat going into the smoker to set the sauce it's better to go on cold. Hot tends to thin and run off before it can bond with the meat. A finishing sauce going on minutes before boxing must be hot. Any touch up in the box must be with hot sauce.

Having said this if you just want a very thin layer of sauce then use hot and maybe apply 3 coats.

As a judge I prefer sauce that has been caramelized or "set" on the meat, not slopped on after the cook. Even if it's only for the last 15 minutes, it needs to be warm. When I get a "cold" sample from one box and all the others have been warm, that's a problem.

You're my problem. If I send in hot meat with hot sauce and it sits there waiting for entries, you're supposed to judge it as its presented to you on taste, tenderness and appearance, not YOUR preference.

Like above...if using during cook...cold as it will heat/caramelize during cook. In box... HEATED. For me (and I'm NOT a judge) there's nothing worse than a good warm piece of meat with some cold arse sauce on it. Well, there actually are plenty of things worse than that, but you get my drift.

You're my problem. If I send in hot meat with hot sauce and it sits there waiting for entries, you're supposed to judge it as its presented to you on taste, tenderness and appearance, not YOUR preference.

I think what Steph is refering to is your statement kinda indicates that you might be comparing one entry to another which would be against KCBS judging criteria.
Judging IS all about your personal preferences, however it also must follow KCBS rules and procedures as you were instructed during your training class.
Ed

I think what Steph is refering to is your statement kinda indicates that you might be comparing one entry to another which would be against KCBS judging criteria.
Judging IS all about your personal preferences, however it also must follow KCBS rules and procedures as you were instructed during your training class.
Ed

It also indicates that he is judging the sauce, not the meat. Its not like he can go back and change his scores because one box was warmer than the other, but taking off points because sauce on ribs is cooler than the other boxes IS a problem. Glad I will never compete in Geezerville, Carolfornia (sic).

Funny, I "set" the sauce, the few times I use sauce, by applying it very hot and allow it to set for a short time. I'm not sure a judge (me being a judge myself) would know whether it was set on the smoker or not...

Also, we're not supposed to be judging based on temperature. I dont. Now, frankly, most BBQ tastes better hot than it does cold. However, to quote Pete of Yazoo's Delta Q, "BBQ that consistently scores highest should taste great cold and hot". Same goes for tenderness, knowing that BBQ will firm up a tad as it cools...

I know a two time Butt to Butt champ that slops it on room temp before boxing.:shock:

Back