wedding for 60

Resesgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i have a small wedding to cater this summer and the bride has requested that all appetizers and dinner be served all by staff(bringing to the table),how much extra should i charge for this? with the standard buffet we charged 14/pp.

thanks for any help you can give me

So she wants it plated and served? If so you will need probably 3-5 additional kitchen staff vs a buffet, you will need servers 1 for every 15-20 guests depending on the menu. Usually all of the extra staff gets a minimum of 5-6 hours of pay each. Then you need to make money of of the staff as well. Personally I'd add $30 per head minimum to the price additionally. Then you have to figure she probably wants real china if serving this way and there is another $4-$6 per head. $50 per head people might think this is a lot but if you get in touch with some non barbecue caterers they probably would not touch this for less than $60 why should we do it for less.

The only reason someone wants the plated food served is to impress someone. Surprised she wants BBQ served. When you shoot her the 7 people X $60 for $420 extra (including tip) ask if she wants china. Do your homework and know the cost to rent. Let her know that price plus 50% for dish washing, pickup & return.

The only reason someone wants the plated food served is to impress someone. Surprised she wants BBQ served. When you shoot her the 7 people X $60 for $420 extra (including tip) ask if she wants china. Do your homework and know the cost to rent. Let her know that price plus 50% for dish washing, pickup & return.

I meant $50pp for meal, appetizers, china & servers 60 people @ $50= $3000 plus tax. Again a lot of this depends on the exact menu but that would be a start.

60 people can be served easily in 15-20 minutes using a buffet line----this is good because the guests are all eating at the same time. To serve 60 people with servers and plating the food in the same amount of time would require 6 servers and 3 staffers plating the food. If servers are used the certainly China will be used rather than paper plates. Rental plates run 85 cents here and set of silverware runs 75 cents----that's $1.60 rental cost per guest. The plates will have to be picked up and returned clean to the rental agency----picking up and returning involve time and fuel. Washing the rental pieces requires labor. With paper plates, guests usually "bus" their own tables---depositing paltes and plasticware in trash cans. China and silverware will require that the caterer busses the tables----more labor.

Guests all like different things----some rare---some well done----some sauce----some no sauce, etc. Put yourself in the customer's shoes----sell them the fact that it is better for their guests to plate their own food ----it is better that guests are served quick and eat together.------The customer does not realize the costs of servers, or they wouldn't even ask-----if you do not "sell" this concept, and simply bump the price----they will balk at using your services. Paying 9 extra people $10.00 per hour for a minimum of 3 hours will cost $270.00 in just labor. Do not just raise the price without explaining the problems

Back