Any word on Pork in the Park?

rolfejr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I just found today out that Smoke in the Valley lost, miss-placed, or ignored the application and check I sent in early February, we need a comp and I have not heard about or seen anyone attending PITP.

Is it still on and is anyone going?

It's still on. I know they cut the space way back but I believe as of Saturday there were still openings.

Since I just found today out that Smoke in the Valley lost, miss-placed, or ignored the application and check I sent in early February, we need a comp and I have not heard about or seen anyone attending PITP.

Is it still on and is anyone going?
We are going. Want to be neighbor's again this year?

The PITP website says registration is closed with only 41 teams listed...sounds like a downer this yr :(

We are going but they sent an email this week asking everyone to make an extra 25 portions of each turn in. They sold tickets promising that you could sample the competition turn ins and have some beer samples for $35. They want them at the same turn in times and think giving us $100 is enough compensation.

We are going but they sent an email this week asking everyone to make an extra 25 portions of each turn in. They sold tickets promising that you could sample the competition turn ins and have some beer samples for $35. They want them at the same turn in times and think giving us $100 is enough compensation.

Ha ha seriously? no fn way, if they want me to cater i can, but not for 100 bucks for 4 meats for 25 people, ha ha what a deal....

31 competition chicken portions would land me in divorce court. :becky: (My wife is our chicken cook.)

Is it optional or required?

People always want to try competition BBQ - so I understand the logic of it. They can't announce this the week before the contest though. They needed to announce this six months ago, so people could factor it in to their decision to compete. I would think that having NO entry fee and keeping the cash prizes the same might entice people to do it, but as described here they are asking the teams to subsidize their fund raising effort. That logic torpedoed the Norwalk Oyster Festival BBQ, and it will do that same here. Don't they realize that most teams are hobbyists and not businesses?

My cookers, process, and timeline are closely matched, and I think most experienced teams are the same. With the exception of pork, we couldn't make 25 portions of the other meats without impacting our cook.

Last edited:
31 competition chicken portions would land me in divorce court. :becky: (My wife is our chicken cook.)

Is it optional or required?

People always want to try competition BBQ - so I understand the logic of it. They can't announce this the week before the contest though. They needed to announce this six months ago, so people could factor it in to their decision to compete. I would think that having NO entry fee and keeping the cash prizes the same might entice people to do it, but as described here they are asking the teams to subsidize their fund raising effort. That logic torpedoed the Norwalk Oyster Festival BBQ, and it will do that same here. Don't they realize that most teams are hobbyists and not businesses?

My cookers, process, and timeline are closely matched, and I think most experienced teams are the same. With the exception of pork, we couldn't make 25 portions of the other meats without impacting our cook.

Unfortunately most competitions these days are about maximizing profits.

Let me get this straight. First they sold the sample tickets (promising something that they didn't even know if they could deliver) THEN they ask the teams to provide the samples 7 days prior to the event?? :crazy:

Teams should say no on principle alone.

Last edited:
Wow. I wonder how much food they are going to get. It pains me to see this comp go in the tank. I have walked there from the house. Nice to have a hometown comp. Wonder if they would supply the meat and let me come cook their comp food. Ahh ..too late for that even. I have a vending job there and will hopefully be busy.

This is what they sent,[FONT=&quot]

Good afternoon![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This year at Pork in the Park we are offering a VIP tent experience. Part of this experience is to have the honor of sampling the 2014 Competitor’s entries into the KCBS competition. So, I’m reaching out to you since you have already submitted your Health Dept paperwork for the Wing Competition Friday night. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What I was hoping is you would contribute approx. enough food to feed 25 people for each of the 4 categories and we will pay you $100 for your participation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We will provide the pans and pick up the product from you. On the ½ hour as you are turning in to KCBS tent. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’m open to any suggestions you might have but I truly hope this is something that you would consider. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will you please let me know if you will participate?

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am ok with promoters making money to keep the comps going but this last minute stuff is not worth it. This is my second year and we are still getting timing and quality down and consistent. We have improved a lot but I need to get walks in more comps before we will think about even doing peoples choice.
[/FONT]

Expect to see more of this type of thing. We as competition teams need to engage the public more then we have in the past in order to keep these competitions going.

How many people from the public have you refused to feed as it was against the rules or that was not the current policy. Yes PITP could have been handled a bit better but unless you have a dog in the race watching competition BBQ is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

People want more then just the venders food, they want to hit the real stuff.

Expect to see more of this type of thing. We as competition teams need to engage the public more then we have in the past in order to keep these competitions going.

How many people from the public have you refused to feed as it was against the rules or that was not the current policy. Yes PITP could have been handled a bit better but unless you have a dog in the race watching competition BBQ is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

People want more then just the venders food, they want to hit the real stuff.

correct that: they want the real stuff for cheap.. most people can cook extra pork, but anything else is just not going to happen, if the contests have to stop so be it, i loose enough money competing, let alone cooking for the masses so someone else can make a buck.

It is against the rules due to health departments, and food vendors not wanting to loose sales. those rules are not going to go away.

Hi Everybody.

Just wanted to say hello to the competitors coming to Pork in the Park. I'm a member of the Salisbury Jaycees, and my chapter is pouring all the beer for the weekend. If you get the urge to wonder around a bit, stop by and say hello. My name is Travis, and I'll be managing our volunteer team all day Friday and Saturday.

Back